SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Over the past couple months I had noticed a creaking sound coming from the front-end of my 2000 9-5 while turning the wheel. After reading the forums and looking for similar symptoms some people seemed to have resolved this problem by changing the Sway Bar Links - that seems like a good place to start as it should not be expensive and not too bad of a job to do.

Also, now that the weather is colder it seems that there is no creaking sound coming from the front-end until the day warms up - not sure if this means anything?

Thanks,
Juha

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I don't know if sub-frame bushings are affected by temperature like that, that is where I would look next.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi,

Over the past couple months I had noticed a creaking sound coming from the front-end of my 2000 9-5 while turning the wheel. After reading the forums and looking for similar symptoms some people seemed to have resolved this problem by changing the Sway Bar Links - that seems like a good place to start as it should not be expensive and not too bad of a job to do.

Also, now that the weather is colder it seems that there is no creaking sound coming from the front-end until the day warms up - not sure if this means anything?

Thanks,
Juha
Had a similar issue two weeks ago and it was due to a completely blown strut. Put new struts and strut mounts on last week and good to go! If it's coming from one side and you hear it while turning the steering wheel, it's likely your problem.

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Had a similar issue two weeks ago and it was due to a completely blown strut. Put new struts and strut mounts on last week and good to go! If it's coming from one side and you hear it while turning the steering wheel, it's likely your problem.
It kind of seems to be coming from both sides, but I will listen tomorrow and have my wife turn the wheel so I can listen better.

How hard of a job putting in new struts and strut mounts would be?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I do not have stands or a spring compressor so I had Midas complete this work. Full Monroe struts on all four and front strut mounts are about $350 in parts so just negotiate if you're not doing it yourself. Also, check your DIFF seals while your in there since you have to remove the suspension anyways. I had my DIFF seals replaced as they were both leaking a little fluid.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Monroe's on an aero? Ay Caramba!

I kid, but really Monroe's are about the cheapest thing you can get in most places. If you are looking to just keep the car on the road they are fine, but do not expect much performance wise.

With the age of the car there are a number of things that could cause this noise assuming it's got a lot of original parts. I redid the sway bar links a couple years ago and it definitely helped reduce some of the noise I was having but not completely. (At this point the next big thing to be done is subframe bushings) The strut mounts are also a likely culprit. If those are the OEM Sachs struts they are more than likely dead or very close to it. However, blown struts to the best of my knowledge will not make noise, they just won't do any damping and you will clearly be able to tell by the ride quality. Nose lifting off like the car wants to take to the sky on acceleration, bottoming out on speed bumps that you shouldn't be, etc. Busted strut mounts will make a lot of noise and this is likely what caused it for kdevine.

I replaced my struts 2 years ago with Bilstein HDs all the way around. The rears I pulled off the car were 9/10s to the grave and the front ones were completely shot. Had ~115-120k on them at the time.

·
Registered
2,715 Posts
Way back, the first thing I did was swap in some Monroe's. I was so sorely disappointed. Felt the same, if not worse than the suspension I was trying to correct. So much time spent for really poor results.

I couldn't imagine actually paying someone to do this to my car. Just sayin'

1 - 9 of 9 Posts