SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Chicago. Winter. Ugh.

My combi has developed an annoying rattle/creak coming from the hatch. Its noticeable everywhere, more so on crappy city roads. If you pull up on the hatch from the handle area, while its latched closed it makes a very loud creaking sound. Over bumps I have a combo of creaks and a rattle coming from what seems to be the hatch striker plate area - though it might something else in the hatch.

Does anyone have any ideas of how to address this? I could bring it to Saab DG but I'm a DIY kinda guy unless its a big mechanical issue, or I don't have time/tools.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Bring it to the dealer. They can adjust it, put some felt in some areas, etc. That is what your warranty is for.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I just spent some time poking around the hatch, checking the trunk area etc. It seems the creaking is caused by the plastic housing of the hatch mechanism rubbing against the rubber shims on either side of the striker plate. These rubber bits seemed pretty hard, could be due to the winter cold. So I wrapped the housing with some duct tape, careful to not let any get near the latching mechanism.

So far, the informal latched pull-up test reveals no creak. I'm going for a drive in a bit over to roscoe village and ill know for certain if this fixed the problem. I'll post my findings.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Fixed!

Without having to drive out to and sit around at the dealer waiting for their likely similar fix!

·
Registered
10 Posts
I too have an annoying creak in my SC. Will try what you have done. I thought it might have been the tray that the jack sits in moving around over bumps.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
I checked that, was quite snug in there. When I was checking to see if it was this part, I went into the trunk from the back seat, and pushed parts from inside to see what made the most noise. The latching mechanism was by far the loudest, and creaked when i pushed on it.

Note: I had the plastic trim that surround the striker plate (the metal ring the latch catches too) removed so i could access the latch mechanism from inside the car.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
zombie thread time:

For any other combi owners, I found a more long term fix of hatch rattles thats so obvious I facepalmed: WD-40.

Turns out the mechanism was getting sticky so it wasn't latching fully, creating a creaking noise. If any Combi/wagon owners out there hear a creak from their hatch area, try lubing up the mechanism. My car is now silent (well in that area at least) and it even latches better!

·
Registered
1 Posts
I think I fixed my rattle

There are two screws that hold the lower rear panel against the trunk lid. You can see them when the lid (hatch) is open. My screws loosened and finally fell out, and the rattle was getting really annoying, mostly on city streets. I tightened the screws back in place and the rattle seems to have stopped. (For now)

·
Registered
421 Posts
Wow thanks for this. I could not identify the source of this annoying rattle until seeing this post. One screw was about to fall out! Hopeful my drive tomorrow is less squeaky!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sorry to resurrect this old thread, but I discovered too late that both of my screws have fallen out and that my hatch is very rattly and loose.

Does anybody know a suitable replacement screw or what the dimensions of the original ones were?

Thanks!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts