SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I had a recent odd start-up procedure, so I thought I would share, just in case it indicates something potentially serious happening.
I've been concerned about excess carbon on my exhaust recently, so I've been watching levels etc at start & prior etc.
I noticed my coolant was a little low (approx 1-2cm below cold), so I topped that up. Everything else seemed in order.
When I turned the ignition to start (pausing to cancel the SID messages check brake lights & time for service) I noticed my turbo boost indicator flipping from green to red multiple times. I cancelled that start - Pulled the key out, waited for a second or two, then repeated the start...
The boost indicator did flip a little, but the start was very sluggish - almost stalling. With the engine running - I waited a little longer before moving. Based on recent advice about my carbon - I drove for approx 15 mins at higher speeds - with controlled acceleration from lights etc. I didn't use Sport or Winter modes.
I had to do some shopping - so after the car had been stopped (parked/off) for about 20 mins - I was careful at start. No crazy boost indicator movement - no sluggish start.
When I parked it at home in my garage - I checked ODB2 codes, and everything was fine.

Is this what a failing MAF or 'fouling' spark plugs looks like? or is it something else like the DIC?
Or do I just need to drive it more...<at speed> :)
OG9-3 Aero - with AT.

·
Registered
973 Posts
What year OG 9-3? Distributor ignition or Trionic? Boost gauge vacuum or electronic? (I don't know whether any were vac gauges).

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks, Mimmi. My battery is relatively new - and has a 'charge window'. It was ok last time I checked it, but based on your advice - I will double-check it is still showing 'green'.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I’d make sure the MAP sensor is connected properly, and clean the pins of the connector. Since the engine started rough, it sounds like the ECU is also receiving bad boost pressure readings.

MAF, plugs, and DIC should have no effect on boost pressure readings.

·
Registered
7,218 Posts
Thanks, Mimmi. My battery is relatively new - and has a 'charge window'. It was ok last time I checked it, but based on your advice - I will double-check it is still showing 'green'.
You did not measure voltage?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts