SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to fix the arches and the key marks there is also the dent on the driver side. any suggestions? Want it to look like saab6's 900 before the SPG conversion

Property of saab6 (used for examle)

key marks go all the way down. Not sure what happend, there before I got her

On this one you can see the big dent behind the driver side door.

·
4,637 Posts
The dent will likely just push out. Only fix for that amount of keying is to repaint the side of the car.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
cdaly said:
The dent will likely just push out.
Let's hope so - the reflections above the swage line look a bit wobbly, though.

Tell you what'd make the biggest "good-from-afar" visual difference, in that pic - and that's respraying the centre caps of the wheels. They *really* pull the eye. Even the missing arch trims play second fiddle to that on a quick look.

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
To get that look, you'll also need to paint the chrome trim around the windows black and add a rubber spoiler.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
Wheel arch (what the heck happened there??) - grind down to bare metal - dolly and hammer as close to "right" as you can get it - apply bondo - sand in the correct contours - spray with filler primer - sand with 600 wet - spray with regular primer - sand with 1000 - 1500 wet - spray with color coat - wet sand with 2000 wet (with dish soap in the water) - stand back and smile.

Key marks - they won't disappear but some light rubbing compound may "soften" them somewhat - one way or another for a 100% car you're looking at a re-spray - but rubbing compound will ease those edges and make the gouges look less serious than they are - that's a bummer (someone keyed my 900 about a month after I'd painted it).

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
(someone keyed my 900 about a month after I'd painted it)
Oh $%&#! thats so messed up. I bought the car exactly how it is today. maybe a few door dings but not much.

Key marks - they won't disappear but some light rubbing compound may "soften" them somewhat
you are apsolutely right. I used some 1000 grit and wet sanded really lightly and its because someone used the wrong touch-up paint and amplifies the scratches. im going to try and fill in with paint and sand a bit to see if it will work. probably not a 100% but should make it look better.

respraying the centre caps of the wheels.
you sure are right about that one. Does anyone know the colour to use to match the wheel covers?

The dent will likely just push out.
lol the dent has already been pushed out. it was really bad before. I think I need to atleast take that in to have them fix that part.

thanks for all your coments I will start working on it today to see if I can fix the scratches a bit. The arches are going to be for another day.

·
Registered
10,081 Posts
davidlytle said:
you sure are right about that one. Does anyone know the colour to use to match the wheel covers?
Do the entire wheel.

lol the dent has already been pushed out. it was really bad before. I think I need to atleast take that in to have them fix that part.
Well, I've just picked mine up from the bodyshop...

Before :-

After :-
Well, it's dark, so no piccies yet. But... It looks *perfect*. Even under a harsh lamp. There's a skim of filler in there, but I'm assured it's no more than 10mm thick at the thickest.

·
Registered
4,078 Posts
It's a good thing I didn't catch the SOB who keyed my 900 - personally I don't think there's a lower life form than some scumbag who screws with a persons car for no reason.

Anyhow - I guess as long as there are low life scumbags roaming the streets we'll have to deal with stuff like this - so here's an idea -

others may laugh or poo-poo the suggestion (and that's fine, I'm a comedian at heart) but if you're having a hard time matching the paint try model shops - testors model paint - it's great stuff (I use the brush on kind 'cause there are more colors and a better chance of getting a perfect match and it's easier to control where it goes) - find the best match you can, brush it on (I thin it out and use multiple coats, letting it almost dry between coats, so it doesn't look like someone smeared a booger on my car), let it dry all the way (waiting a week isn't excessive) then wet sand (with a fairly soft block, a gentle hand and masking tape protecting neighboring surfaces) to make it all nice and flush - some polishing compound - a bit of glazing compound and wax and you might just fix it without getting the entire car repainted - at least from 20 feet.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was going to ask how did you manage to get the foglights working? My 89 16V 3-door hatchback c900 has foglights installed and I've installed a fuse and the additonal relay, but there's no wiring from the fuse/relay panel going to a switch socket for foglight control behind the dash. Apparently there is a missing piece of wire harness which I'm not sure if it's specific to the 89 build year cars, or is because the car is a non-turbo 900i instead of 900 turbo.

Craig.
Wow that sounds like the ticket! I will give it shot. I am going to wetsand with 1000 grit today to remove mismatched touchup. will take some pics to show. you know the before so ill just post the afters!

·
Registered
954 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well I painted the center caps and it looks much better. went to a yard and picked up the fender trim. will be straightening the fenderwells and and bondoing them up to be smooth. then painting. will try and do a pictoral of it

·
Registered
322 Posts
how about fitting the later wheel arch tirms??? the 92 93 wheel arch trims (fender trims ) are a little wider and deeper they mifght just cover the nasty bits for now until you decide to do something about them????

just a thought

cheers

1 - 11 of 11 Posts