SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last summer, I was on the highway when a truck lost some debris, mostly broken glass from a door that broke off of the tractor that he was hauling. I was following the truck, and the glass pretty much hit me straight-on.

Once I stopped, their were shards of glass sticking out of my windshield such that when I brushed them off, it cut my finger slightly. Later, I have come to find that their are numerous pits and chips in the windshield and in the hood. Also, one headlight has a chip that is letting water into the assembly.

Today, an insurance adjuster for the trucking company told me that the glass I hit was "safety glass" and it was, "impossible for safety glass to chip the windshield and hood," as seen on my car. They are going to pay zero, I think. I think this sounds absurd. I saw the shards in the windshield, after all.

Does anyone have any knowledge about safety glass and its inability to chip and scratch paint or windshields? I am going to have to come up with some information that supports my claim that this damage was indeed caused by this incident.

I appreciate any info/thoughts. Thanks.

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
flounder43 said:
"impossible for safety glass to chip the windshield and hood," as seen on my car. They are going to pay zero, I think. I think this sounds absurd. I saw the shards in the windshield, after all.
So what do they think that because it's called "safety glass" that it's safe or something? The purpose of safety glass is to shatter into small pieces so that you don't have long shards upon which to slice through flesh.

Why don't you suggest that you shatter a piece of safety glass, fill a bucket with said pieces and then ask the insurance guy if he's ok with you a) throwing it at him and b) hurling the contents of the bucket at his car paintwork?

Just remember that insurance companies are below single celled ameobas and their job is to take money in premiums and NOT give it out. Your job is to present a case which demonstrates why they should pay out - do whatever you can.

I had an argument with an insurance company that said they wouldn't pay for the repair to a burst pipe but only the damage caused which I said was ludicrous as without the repair the damage would increase. She countered with "but it's you contractual duty to minimise the damage" to which I said "what about if I wasn't here to fulfill my duty and the whole downstairs needed new carpets as a result?".

She said it didn't say in the policy that they would pay for repairs, I countered that neither did it say that they wouldn't. She said I should have checked at the time of taking out the policy so I then went into silly mode and asked if they would pay for squirrels biting through the pipe? She said don't be silly, but I pointed out that the policy didn't say that that risk was covered. I had to escalate it a bit but in the end, they paid up.

David.

·
Registered
147 Posts
My bother had almost the same thing happen. They try and brush you off. You just need to tell them that you will not go away and that the answer they gave is not acceptable. This damaged was caused by the event. The small shards of glass will damage paint and glass on contact. The bead blasting process uses smooth glass beads to remove paint. Safty glass breaks into small sharp pieces that will damage the front of a car at highway speeds.

·
Registered
1,550 Posts
Hi ,as a professional glass man with 30 years experience ,I can say broken tempered glass will ruin a piece of laminated glass(windshield) and tears up paint on impact. Many times small pieces have ruined sheets of laminated glass and mirror I was cutting for jobs.Heck, I got a piece inbeded in my arm from a car accident I had many years ago .You can still feel itwith your finger. I had about 12 in my arm and head from a shattered door glass. Pat

·
Registered
75 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the comments. I knew what that guy was saying was crazy.

I especially like the comment about offering to toss a bucket of broken glass at the insurance guy's car. :D

·
Registered
2,365 Posts
flounder43 said:
Thanks for all the comments. I knew what that guy was saying was crazy.

I especially like the comment about offering to toss a bucket of broken glass at the insurance guy's car. :D
Yep, just remember to tell him that it's not called SAFETY GLASS for nothing just as you're about to do it! :D

1 - 7 of 7 Posts