SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My06 9-5 2.3. Have changed pcv system, oil pump and cover. Thought it was a pressure problem but just replaced the seal and it leaked at idle after pressure build up. Also replaced the harmonic balancer. The car is running great at 220k miles and only leaves a small spot on driveway. Oil does cover engine while driving. Is there anything that will cause oil pressure to be high at the seal like oil regulator or passages restricted. Does not use a lot of oil but is messy. Thanks for any recommendations. The last seal was a National brand.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
My06 9-5 2.3. Have changed pcv system, oil pump and cover. Thought it was a pressure problem but just replaced the seal and it leaked at idle after pressure build up. Also replaced the harmonic balancer. The car is running great at 220k miles and only leaves a small spot on driveway. Oil does cover engine while driving. Is there anything that will cause oil pressure to be high at the seal like oil regulator or passages restricted. Does not use a lot of oil but is messy. Thanks for any recommendations. The last seal was a National brand.
After oil pressure build up,

·
Registered
10,326 Posts
Do you know for sure that it's coming out of the crankshaft seal? If you know for sure that it is, then I wonder if the seal is bad. You could try a different brand (I've had good luck with Victor Reinz crankshaft seals), and make sure that you lubricate the crankshaft pulley before assembling it. A dry crankshaft pulley can ruin a new crankshaft seal on startup. I typically use Saab's often recommended petroleum jelly (Vaseline).

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Are you SURE that it's the crank pulley?

The dreaded "3-way" joint between the head, timing cover and block could be the culprit. When it leaks the oil runs down the timing cover just between the tensioner pulley and the center pulley and then goes behind the crank pulley. And when it comes out it looks like it's coming from the crank.

Get a hose, spray it in under the wishbone support toward that area, spray it into the opening to get to the tensioner and get it cleaned out. then let the engine sit and idle for 10-15 minutes and if you see the tell-tale sign of oil running down the upper part of the timing cover.... ding, you have a winner

(that leak could also be the timing chain tensioner seal if you're lucky, I'm not. I'm in for a head gasket in the not too distant future)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Are you SURE that it's the crank pulley?

The dreaded "3-way" joint between the head, timing cover and block could be the culprit. When it leaks the oil runs down the timing cover just between the tensioner pulley and the center pulley and then goes behind the crank pulley. And when it comes out it looks like it's coming from the crank.

Get a hose, spray it in under the wishbone support toward that area, spray it into the opening to get to the tensioner and get it cleaned out. then let the engine sit and idle for 10-15 minutes and if you see the tell-tale sign of oil running down the upper part of the timing cover.... ding, you have a winner

(that leak could also be the timing chain tensioner seal if you're lucky, I'm not. I'm in for a head gasket in the not too distant future)
I replaced the oil pump awhile back and wanted to know if I could have put something in wrong. That was about 50k ago so it is getting oil. This last time I installed the seal I used Vaseline but have always used a grease. Can the oil pressure relief valve cause the leak, I haven't touched it ? Thanks.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
I replaced the oil pump awhile back and wanted to know if I could have put something in wrong. That was about 50k ago so it is getting oil. This last time I installed the seal I used Vaseline but have always used a grease. Can the oil pressure relief valve cause the leak, I haven't touched it ? Thanks.
If you did something wrong you'd have a lot of oil all over the place. The oil pump cover only goes on one way and if you damaged the seal or the o-ring you would have had immediate impact.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Octoberjack,

50K after replacing the oil pump, the large diameter O-ring on the cover could be pretty hard and leak - did you replace again with latest crank seal / sure that O-ring isn't it? Quality of specialty O-rings can be spotty, and that's one that gets pretty warm.

For the seal I would go with Victor Reinz or Corteco - AND the last time I did this I used anaerobic sealant on the outer edge of the seal inside the oil pump cover, because I once had a seal walk itself out of the cover and start a significant leak.

Please share what fixes this.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts