SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The problem: For about 2 weeks the car intermittent cranks but won't start, recently engine sometimes cuts out for a split second while driving

The car: 2000 Saab 9-5 SE V6 83K miles

The Recent Work ( you guys have saved me a fortune here):
1. Changed fuel filter last week (i thought that would be the first step)
2. Changed alarm siren batteries 3 weeks ago (still getting random "Service Theft Alarm Warnings") Batteries were a sub and should have worked IMO. I'm going to replace with eaxact manufacturer part soon.
3. Had the ABS module rebuilt by www.bba-reman.com 4 weeks ago
4. Complete front end brake job about 6 weeks ago
5. Replaced the throttle body about 2 and a half months ago

The check engine light hasn't come on since the cranking problem began. I can also here the fuel pump prime itself before trying to start the car.

I still think this is a great car in spite of the recent problems. I'm hoping you guys can help make my Saab reliable again.

Thanks,

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
I concur

No start conditions + no CEL = CPS

.........typically anyway.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks,

I know you guys get tired of hearing the same symptom sall the time, but I really did do a lot of searching before posting. I guess I kind of got lost in the reading and thought that bad CPS meant the fuel pump wouldn't work at all.

Fuel Pump primes before start = good fuel pump and relay and bad CPS

I found the part online at a local Napa -$70- and will replace tomorrow.

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
dcash said:
Thanks,

I know you guys get tired of hearing the same symptom sall the time, but I really did do a lot of searching before posting. I guess I kind of got lost in the reading and thought that bad CPS meant the fuel pump wouldn't work at all.

Fuel Pump primes before start = good fuel pump and relay and bad CPS

I found the part online at a local Napa -$70- and will replace tomorrow.
Basically, without the CPS the ECU doesn't know where the crank is. If it doesn't know where the crank is, the fuel injectors can't fire and neither can the spark plugs.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I have a 2000 saab 9-5 2.3t.Cranks but won't start.Put in new cps and ignition cassette.Still won't start.Other problems that started at same time were...No sound from fuel pump,Trunk button on door don't work,No interior dome lights.Can't use obd 2 as that won't work.Any ideas?

·
Registered
9,597 Posts
No sound from fuel pump is a bad sign. What is the battery voltage? Are the battery cables tight?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts