SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody done one of these?
Maptun recommended/included component for Stage 5.

High performance fuel pump

In short: Walbro 255 LPH, in-tank high performance fuel pump, for installation in stock fuel tank assembly. Flow capacity 255 litres/hour, which can supply appr. 500 hp. 99% bolt-on install. Fits all T5 and T7 cars.

I imagine the red injectors would love it...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Its cheap too ;)

At Stage 5 it might be useful especially if a dyno shows the car running lean, however below that level of tune I would imagine Trionic would be holding it back by reducing the injector interval anyway, or you'd run rich :confused:

Have you uprated your fuel pressure regulator?

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Have you uprated your fuel pressure regulator?
Hmmm...I asked the tuner I have been working with about that and they said it was unnecessary...so I went with that advice.

No Stage 5 yet for me but I will be there sometime next year!

·
Registered
44 Posts
I run two of those in my Evo and they work great. Some people say they make noise but mine have not. Your gonna need to take your car to a dyno and tune it once your done.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
love2burn420 said:
Your gonna need to take your car to a dyno and tune it once your done.
Man I wish! There are 0 places around here that are capable of doing any kind of dyno tuning to our cars. There might not be a single American capable of doing this to a T7 car right now....at least none that I would be willing to put my confidence in.

These higher stages of tune make me kinda nervous. Maybe it's just me but for that kind of power and these kinds of hardware changes, I would not feel comfortable with a shipped "stage" ECU. The software needs to be manipulated right there right then and tuned accordingly on the dyno with extensive testing for safety on the specific car. In a perfect world the same car with the same hardware should have the same software changes but when has Trionic 7 ever lived in a perfect world?

·
Registered
44 Posts
Could you install a s-afc into these cars, because those can be tuned by any shop with a dyno? Or is it to hard to splice into the wires? I think your absolutely right about getting it tuned when you are going to that stage in your build. A shipped ECU isnt gonna cut it, not just for power and tuning but for cold start up (which is very important).

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Thats the biggest problem when you get to this stage of tune. Ideally you want to be on your tuners rolling road so they can do a custom re-map as they go. The intracacies of T7 is just gonna confuse all but a few of tuners worldwide. Getting to Sweden could prove a bit of a problem for you in the States/Canada, at least the Europeans have an option to drive there.

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hmmm - you folks have certainly given me a lot of food for thought re going up to Stg 5. I understand that things get a little tricky up there and quite frankly I don't know if it's going to be worth it to me.

The vehicle is "kinda" a daily driver and reliability is of significance to me. What good is another 25 or so HP if the car won't start?!?! :cry:

I think at least I am going to put in a set of pistons - that can't hurt can it? And would probably help everything in terms of avoiding any meltdowns?

P.S. FYI I am at MapTun Stg 4+...

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Bob, have you had it rolling roaded/dynoed? Its generally recognised you are gonna need new pistons over 300bhp but as you say its a daily drive, and is the outlay required for the grade 5 justified for the hp increase? The higher you go the lesser the returns in horsepower, and the higher likelyhood of something breaking as a result of the stresses placed upon it (gearbox springs to mind..death by torque).

·
Registered
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It has not been dynoed but according to the tuner who installed all the go goodies is "easily over 315 and likely 325" But who knows - that's him talking, not numbers on a printout!

I will put in some pistons and let this Stage simmer for a while...I might be getting a case of the "triple 2s" - 2 much, 2 fast, 2 soon!

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
"You've done too much, much too young..."

Can anyone name that song? :cool:

Pistons are a great next step to take. You can order from either GenuineSaab or Maptun...both will supply very high quality forged pistons that are a direct fit.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If your gonna do the pistons you might as well do the rest. I would think the connecting rods in these engines are the weak point? If you build the bottom end your only a thicker head gasket, cams, fuel pump and injectors away from 20 psi on the street. Just get a good tune, alot of my friends use this. http://www.morepowerracing.com/product.asp?numRecordPosition=1&P_ID=2436&strPageHistory=cat&strKeywords=&SearchFor=&PT_ID=79
Now i dont know how complicated it would be to install on a Saab but i have friends pushing over 400 to the wheels who use this to tune. Im gonna try and install one of these and a MBC to my car and see what #'s i can post on the dyno. The s-afc is universal and ive seen them put on almost every car out there. Im sure it will give me just as good if not better results then the programable ECU's we use and ill be able to fine tune it to suit my needs more.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
The con rods are fine. It is the piston and rings that are the weakpoint. Saab got all wrapped up in "super low friction, light weight and high efficiency" and forgot their roots...high torque and bullet proof stock internals. Then there is the issue of the PCV system and over-pressurization which can cause sludge and HG failures but if you are venting ok the stock head and gasket can take lots of power. Cams are a good upgrade as well but the bottom end of this engine is fine.

I have to admit I've never tried or been with anyone when they have tried to get a stand alone controller to work in a T7 car but everything I have heard is that they won't work in a Trionic 7 car. They will work on T5 though. T7 is too intricate and won't run right with any type of outside or piggy back influence. You have to remap the ecu and the programs these things carry are massive files that are insanely difficult to decode.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Ive got a 99 is it t5 or t7? Im gonna try regardless and see what happens. Hopefully itll be good news. The shop ill be going to Mach V has good tuners, theyre main tuner drives the 1100 horsepower saturn for the factory (which is basically the same engine as ours). When i was tuning my Evo he said that it shouldnt be that hard to do.

·
Registered
1,198 Posts
love2burn420 said:
Ive got a 99 is it t5 or t7? Im gonna try regardless and see what happens. Hopefully itll be good news. The shop ill be going to Mach V has good tuners, theyre main tuner drives the 1100 horsepower saturn for the factory (which is basically the same engine as ours). When i was tuning my Evo he said that it shouldnt be that hard to do.
Its T7. I would do a little more research before taking the plunge. I'm 99% sure it just won't work and thats a lot of waste when you could be upgrading the exhaust, intercooler and fueling. The Saturn's share the V6 but not the turbo or the engine management system. Is yours a V6?

OK I just read your other post and you have a stick that means you have a 4cyl. Good. V6's are not very tunable. The saturn really doesnt share much more than some insignificant items with your car and the software is nothing like it. I have to strongly advise against the stand alone controller but if you're going to do it then youre going to do it.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well im gonna dig a little deeper then. Theres gotta be another way to do this. Ive really gotten into building this car now, im starting to miss having power all the time.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts