SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys so my adventure began one morning last, about to head off to work when my trusty steed decided it wanted to stay home.
I thaught battery/starter/alternator etc all the usual stuff but a moment of madness had me remove my wheel fairing and stick a ratchet on my crank shaft pulley et viola, locked. Turned it counter clockwise, lockes after 180 and then back the other way. Suggestions on what to do next before scrapping the best car I've ever driven please.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
Timing belt !!! Where the hell where u looking ! Car has no timing belt .
Anyway, so u parked it running normal, and then u came to start it but it was locked up ?
Try removing the accessory belt and turn the engine see if it frees up .
Remove spark plugs, make sure there is no hydrolock where one of the cylinders is full of gas or coolant .
If not, its a big job, but u need to check timing chain and component.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Timing belt !!! Where the hell where u looking ! Car has no timing belt .
Anyway, so u parked it running normal, and then u came to start it but it was locked up ?
Try removing the accessory belt and turn the engine see if it frees up .
Remove spark plugs, make sure there is no hydrolock where one of the cylinders is full of gas or coolant .
If not, its a big job, but u need to check timing chain and component.
I thought it was a diesel.

·
Registered
2,962 Posts
??? stupid me.. always forget the deseil .. but hey dont blame me, we never had these in Dubai, im even unable to spell it ??

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
I hope your belt has slipped and you can reset the timing otherwise there is likely some damage.

Check the timing marks........then at least it should turn over.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I removed the belts. They didn't look like they'd slipped to be honest but seeing as I got that far(what dumbass designs an access cover that needs the engine mount removed to get off!) I took the lot out to check. Still the same with the crank pully, turns actually about 360° in either direction before meeting something solid.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
By rotating the crank anti clockwise you may have lost snychronisation with the inlet camshaft....the exhaust camshaft is the only one driven by the belt.

If you can only turn the crank 180 then you must be hitting valves...

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
You should only ever rotate the crank clockwise on these Z19DTH engines...thats what I have been told previously by a GM guy.

However there is always some resistance at the 180 point and can take a bit of effort to go past it.........are you sure its locked up solid?

I guess if the camshafts have gone out of sync then they will have come out of the car......

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi CJ
With the timing and accessory belts off, the cam shaft turns fine(There's that bit of resistance you mentioned but nothing major). The lower crank shaft is solid!! I braced the wrench with an axle jack and lowered the car a bit, didn't budge it.
If I drop the the oil pan, can i view the interior mechanism? What about if I pull the starter, can i see if anything is snagging the gears of the fly wheel?

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
OK so the problem is the bottom end......is this a manual or auto?
I am wondering if the problem is the DMF collapsed..wouldnt hurt to take starter and pan off but it seems likely flywheel issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I gave it a good try to turn it but no, it ain't turning a bit. From videos on youtube, turning the crankshaft with the belts off isn't a problem. A few show it as being in the process to get the witness lines lined up in the case of belt slippages.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Turning the crank independantly of the camshaft risks damaging valves as they will be out of synch (thats why you have a timing belt in the first place)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts