SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Do I have to remove the inner wing to get the crank sensor out and does it simply unplug from the harness on one end and unbolt on the other.

Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
I just swapped one out on my wife's car and yes the inner wing comes off, the serpentine belt gets removed and the sensor is under the crank pulley. It's at about the 9 o'clock position and held on by a couple torx screws. I suggest you clean off the back of the pulley with brake cleaner and some steel wool as the sensor gets its signal from the pulley itself. Make sure your belt tensioner doesn't extend fully and come apart. I used a piece of wire hanger to hold it together while I did the swap.

The hardest part of the job is "snaking" the wiring behind the intake but it's still not overwhelming. Good luck, Steve.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks eclipseproduction for your note. I finally removed the sensor from my 93 and did experience the snaking problem. I am curious did you buy your replacement sensor new or did you go used?

Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
I got it used. My wife takes public transportation during the week and only drives weekends. I just couldn't bring myself to pay $250 new for the sensor. Used = $60.

Check some of the Saab yards.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi eclipseproduction I was wondering how were you able to make a diagnosis of the problem as the crank sensor?

Steve

·
Registered
148 Posts
The car would die when warm without warning (well, a brief period of power loss, engine miss, etc.. THEN die) and would restart as soon as it cooled off. The tach was non-responsive when attempting to start. I learned later that the tach gets its signal from the sensor so the dead tach made sense. I told my wife to look at the tach when the car died to see if it moved when she tried to crank....it didn't = crank sensor.

The car started right up after the swap and has been fine ever since.

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks eclipseproduction for the insight that is the first information I have received that makes any sense.

Steve

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Hmmm. Mine ran perfectly when warm but wouldn't start or run properly when cold.

Mind you, a new one hasn't fixed my problem.

·
Registered
148 Posts
SUPERAERO...That could be a completely different beast and (based upon what I've experienced) doesn't sound like a crank sensor's symptoms, IMHO. I'm not surprised it didn't address your problem.

What else have you considered aside from the crank sensor?

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
Top of the class, you guessed it.

My first diagnosis was my nearly new "insurance" DI cassette was no good. Because it was only three months old we all discounted that possibility.

Guess what it was... now I have another DI cassette. Good job the one I originally replaced is a known working one which will pop into the trunk for long trips from now on!

The crank sensors are known to fail at around ten years on some engines so....as long as that new one isn't faulty i should be good to go for another ten.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Cool....Mom will be so proud! :cheesy: Actually, all I did was prompt you to consider an alternative possibility.

How "Zen" was 'dat???

Doni

1 - 11 of 11 Posts