SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originally posted this to the workshop but there's been no response...

Can the Hall sensor inside the distributor be wired to the crank sensor harness for an EZK/LH 2.4.2 and work?

The wiring harness colors of course don't match up:

The three wires from the crank sensor are BK/RD/GN

The three wires from the dizzy are BK/BR/GR
the dizzy wiring harness is also shielded with bare copper strand(same as the knock sensor)--should this be hooked to ground or left off?

I should add that my spare dizzy is from a turbo/APC vechicle.

For those that must know why I wanna try this: I already have the spare dizzy (no cost) and it only takes 15min to install. I don't know for certain that my crank sensor is bad--this would be a way to eliminate it as a problem as well as always have a back up system installed should the crank sensor go bad...

·
Registered
181 Posts
This is nothing but guesswork, but...

The sensor in the turbo distributor works on the Hall principle, ie, measuring the presence (rise/fall) of a magnetic field and as such has got a small semiconductor device in it, whereas the crank sensor is essentially an electromagnet which creates a voltage when ferrous metal is moved past it - think a single-string electric guitar pickup.

I've got a feeling that the Hall sensor needs +5v from the ignition amplifier which accounts for one of the three wires, so that the other two are signal and earth, whereas most crank sensors I've ever seen have just two, one for each end of the winding around the magnetic core. I don't think that the two systems would be interoperable without some sort of interface which would probably be more trouble than it's worth.

·
Registered
2,879 Posts
Well, I'm actually pretty sure that the crank-sensor is a hall-sensor type, as it can be used with megasquirt, and has three wires going to it, being ground, supply and signal.
Not sure if it's worth doing it, as nuclear jim also states... But heck, try it, worst case is, it dosn't work....
Daniel

·
Registered
2,986 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Both sensors (crank, dizzy) are hall type sensors--but since we're dealing with micro-volts I'm not sure they're compatable although I'd be surprised that Saab changed more than sensor location with the change in '88 to '89.

Still can't believe noones tried this already...

1 - 5 of 5 Posts