SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got to replace the crank sensor on my wife's '91 9000 and have never done one before. What specific tools are needed, what obstacles should I anticipate and how long is this likely to take?

Also, is there a previous thread with installation details? I could use the input.
You can email me if you wish. <[email protected]>

Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Come on....NOBODY's done this before?

I'm replacing the sensor this weekend, come Hell or high water, but would really appreciate some installation hints before I spend the day figuring it out myself.

If anybody's got info like shortcuts to do this without the benefit of power tools and with the car sitting on a city street, I'd be eternally grateful. As long as my wife's car is down, she's driving mine! :cry:

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Take wheel off, remove inner wings. Get 19mm long ring spanner and compress belt tensioner very slowly, it will move. Remove belt out of the way of the lower crank pulley. Remove crank pulley bolt and pull off pulley. Crank sensor is located behind pulley. Remove 2 small screws and take sensor off. Trace cable round side of block and unclip.

Refit is reverse of above.

HTH

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
MARRK,

I thank you, my wife thanks you but more than anything, MY CAR THANKS YOU! (the women refuses to stop at a car wash, for Christsake). I already read that the crank pulley bolt is 27mm and the socket will need to be shaved down by about 3/4 of an inch to fit. But I needed the rest of the procedure.

I owe you one.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'd love to help you but all four 9k's I own/owned are 94 and later. The crank sensor is located front of the engine gear box side.

However, I looked at my 2.3L engine shop manual (sec 2:1). After you loosened and removed the crank bolt (27 mm socket) to remove the crank pulley, two torx screws will be exposed. Remove those two screws you'll get the crank sensor off.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
YAOFENG,

You can officially share in the Gratitude Feast. I think I've got it sussed out now...thanks to you and Marrk. :cheesy:

·
Registered
447 Posts
eclipseproduction said:
MARRK,

I thank you, my wife thanks you but more than anything, MY CAR THANKS YOU! (the women refuses to stop at a car wash, for Christsake). I already read that the crank pulley bolt is 27mm and the socket will need to be shaved down by about 3/4 of an inch to fit. But I needed the rest of the procedure.

I owe you one.
I think that the shaved down 27mm socket is only needed on the classic 900 due to clearance issues with the firewall. You should be fine with a standard socket on the 9000.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts