SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there,
Can anybody who has had a crank sensor failure or changed please post a little feedback on their experience?
My stopped last week but started an hour later when I went back with a car trailer to retrieve it.
Having got the sensor out last night and done some checks, I'm not sure it is the reason for the failure. 168,000km, 12yr old car............. There are older cars than mine out there with longer distances on the odometer yet the crank sensor doesn't appear to be very common in topics of failure in these forums.

Is the 9000 ('92-'95) crank sensor the same with a different loom?
I have been offered a '95 9000 crank sensor from a wrecker. He claims it will fit....

Any help greatly appreciated.

Cheers

·
4,637 Posts
It's quite possible that it will fit. It makes sense to share parts between models and the C900 and the 9000 have a lot of crossover, especially at the engine.

You have to pull the crank pulley to replace this sensor. While you're doing that, there's not too much more work involved in replacing the crank pulley seal and the oil pump O-ring. If there haven't been done yet, do yourself a favour and do them now... Advice on the job is at: http://townsendimports.com/Web/engine_folder/front_crank_seal900.htm

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got the sensor out and on the bench trying to stress it under heat.

I did the O ring and seal 12 months ago when I changed the harmonic balancer.
I'm also about to remove and re-seal the hoses and rear plate on the back of the water pump.

I'm trying resolve in my mind that it is the actual fault, hence praying for people to talk about later 900's that aren't turbos.

I also trying not to have to spend $360 for the sensor.............. We have two girls with cystic fibrosis who need regular medical treatment, (see: $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$) and like anyone else in the real world, we have a budget that gets leaner every time one fills up at the bowser, so I want to be more than 80% sure that the crank sensor is the culprit.

It would seem that the sensor is often quoted but never blamed for any problems. Thus, the doubt.

Cheers

God bless London

·
Registered
140 Posts
I was wondering.. what pins do you hook onto on the crank sensor cable to a digital multimeter.. and are you measuring AC volts or DC volts.. or.. ??

·
Registered
7,088 Posts
i had a crancase sensor go on my 1989 16v when cold it would start perfectly and run for about a mile/5mins until the engine started to get temprature then it would misfire and run like a pig,127,000mls. replaced it with 2nd hand unit, 12 mnths later went again,133,000mls but this time dead as a dodo, put another 2nd hand unit in, still running no problem, so even if you get a reading across it, it could still be failing later when warm. Plenty of breakers in uk where obtainable, if none available in your location, i think mine was about £35.00 got second one from scrap car i bought for other bits.

·
Registered
140 Posts
16saabs, Do you have any tips or tricks on a convenient, foolproof way to fit the sensor on there ?? With no lift.. working in a parking lot.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts