SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:evil: Saab Dealerships EVERYWHERE please note :nono;

After having the dreaded sludge problem with my B205R engine, and having to have my crankshaft re-ground to +.50, ( this of course is mainly due to Saab's poor engine breathing design for this particular engine), I now find that the main bearing are almost impossible to find,well nearly.

A standard set of bearings sell for about £35-£40, so do +.2500mm oversize. That's .01 of an inch and you get all Ten (10) half shells for that price.
NOW, the +.50mm which is .02 of an inch, and I might add are milled out at a factory making thousands upon thousands a week, the tooling change between the different sizes would be probably one turn of a knob or at worst 1 (one) minute to do, very expensive to do, so you would think.

BECAUSE the +.50 shell bearings (and it would seem you can only get them now from Saab's or now Spykers) cost you, the valued and supportive customer, £17.20 pence each half Shell, and of course you need 10 so that's £170.20p for a set. And you can't even see the difference between them. RIP-OFF or what.
SAAB'S poor design helped cause the problem yet we have to pay for it. Stand up and be counted SAAB SPYKER, it's stokes like this that get you a bad name, the price for the bearings is HIGHWAY ROBBERY. If there is extra cost at manufacture then they should bear the additional cost not us.:(

Would anyone know if I was to use +25 bearings with 10w 50 thicker oil could I get away with it or do I have to use the 50's.
Better still, anybody know where old stock at the right price might be sought . Regards, desperately seeking, Sid.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks John, A pound is a pound each but, after postage and charges on card, still cheaper from Saab. Nice try though.

·
Registered
447 Posts
First, you cannot use the .25mm bearings with the .50 grind. You would have almost no oil pressure and the engine would not last more than a few minutes.

I guess that the lesson we should learn at your expense is that if the crank needs to be ground more than .25mm consider it junk and source another crankshaft. I have a crankshaft waiting to go to the scrap yard that had one or two rod journals that were scored. I am quite sure that it would be fine at .25mm under size. Too bad you are not on this side of the pond!

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
another option that work perfectly well

:DHave found and engineering Co that can solve all the +50 regrind problems (like price of bearings and rebuilding crank into block) but there here on this side of the POND, in Canterbury Kent. He, thats Peter, has just rebuilt my crankshaft and block in front of my eyes, like a surgeon using oversize bearings meant for other engines but the same size Crank. Very slight alterations, like the size of the keep, drilling of oil holes and removing number 3 thrust bearing.
An artist at work and when finished they look and act the same as the overpriced one's supplied by Saab's.
For owners over here and in the South East area there address is;

HARTLEE ENGINEERING LIMITED, BLEAN, CANTERBURY, KENT, CT2 9EE
Tel; (01227) 471575 Fax; (01227) 761771

The bearings used on my motor; Vanderveld ZPM 91317 A or you could use AEM 5256.
Another make with the same keep size only very slightly narrower meant for the diesel engine but are fine to use are;GLYCO H982/50.5mm.
All are for +50 regrinds.
HE'S NOT EXPENSIVE EITHER old school. My total Price including re-grind and bearings plus labour costs; £170.50p, cheaper than just the bearings from Saab on there own.
If you chaps on the other side of the pond know of a good motor engineer these are the parts for you. good luck IT CAN BE DONE and at a fraction of the the price you would think..:cheesy:

·
Registered
19 Posts
Well,your absolutely right about being ripped off.I work a a 'very large' japanese car manufacturer,in the engine plant.When I was on a coarse earlier this year I happened to see a cost sheet and the bearing shells for our engine is around £1.50 each.What does that tell you?All manufacturers are the same,they make more profit from spares than they do from selling cars.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Well. After having ran the car for some time and not hearing any problems with the engine re grind or the over sized bearings, my oil pressure light has started to flicker.

So to see if the problem was with the bearings or the crank or whatever, Engine is out again.

Bearings have held up just fine, crank is still OK to, no scoring.

My problem is with the BLOCKS bearing faces. On numbers 2&4, scoring from the previous old standard bearings is letting thinning oil pass out the sides into the sump loosing pressure at idle.

Remody....:cry: source another block and crankshaft, new bearings Etc; Etc; Etc:

Just wondering if I can get this Block re-ground and have stainless steel inserts made up to fit. After all it's the bearing caps that hold the bearings in why not these insert at the same time. CAN THIS BE DONE OR HAS IT??

Your thoughts and comments on this Please. Sid..

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi, sorry to hear you've had to pull the block again! - That sucks.

How long was the engine running before you noticed the oil light?

I had the same situation - spun #4 main and #3 big end bearings due to sludge - which required the same crank grind to 0.5. At the time my machinist closed and honed the bearings, removing the scoring and preventing the problem you've had. It was an extra cost but money well spent. Perhaps go back to the guy to did your work and ask why he didn't do the same.

Also, regarding the .5 bearing shells, I got mine from partsforsaabs.com. They aren't listed on the site but they got a quote for me and supplied them in good time. (Other places couldn't even source them). Can't remember, but I've got a feeling that they were made for Saab too and not a bearing for another block.

Best of luck on the next build.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts