SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since I'm probably looking at taking out the crank sensor to replace it on my 2.1 sedan, I wondered about the crank pulley oil seal since there's a small oil look apparent at the crank pulley end of the motor. I've never replaced a crank pulley oil seal before. Obvious access is very limited (particularly when working from the top).

Any good/simple approaches? Don't have any special tool nor do I know if a special would work in the space available in-car.

Thanks, craig.

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
No special tools are needed - just a shallow socket that will fit between the firewall and the crank bolt

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I've got one of those - When i did the crank sensor job on my 2.1 hatchback i ground down a socket to make one that would work attached to my breaker bar. i'm asking more about doing the replacement of the oil seal when removing the crank pulley (there's a woodruff key as well I believe?).

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
Nothing special is needed ... just a few small metric sockets... 10mm IIRC. Remove the housing, replace the seal & o-ring, put it back together,

·
Registered
110 Posts
Make sure the leak isn't coming from the valve cover or timing chain tensioner plug (hidden by A/C compressor bracket) and making it's way down to the bottom of the car.

·
Registered
3,421 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
As I've not done a crank pulley oil seal replacement before, does just the seal come in/out or is there a sub-assembly or cover plate that holds the seal which needs to be removed as well ?

·
Registered
5,543 Posts
The seal is on the oil pump cover. Remove the cover, replace the seal, replace the o-ring and put it back together.

·
Registered
110 Posts
I'd search this forum as there are additional threads that go into greater detail on how to perform the work. They were very helpful for me.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts