SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
any one out there had crank problems, car full ssh, 115000 miles, oil level ok, oil light goes out, as should, motorway driving about 90-100 mph felt loss of power turned radio off, death rattle from engine, got recovered home, suspect big ends gone, any one else had this problem??

geoff

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
You mean the chain went, on a 2.3L 900S? Or SE? Not sure what "big" ends are, or you mean bottom end as in main bearings and crank?

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
soory for any confussion, my engine is 2000cc i mean the conecting rod bearings (big ends) the mains are not making an obvious noise, will know better when i take sump off
the car still runs, chain tension seems ok

geoff

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
thats the strange thing, ther were no tell tale signs of anything wrong, soon find out removing engine to get sump off great,
if it was not for bad luck i would have no luck at all!!!

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
Check the chain tensioner while you are at it. I found mine out past the end click, and my engine seems to have more carbon deposits and more wear than average for 105k miles.

You can get the sump off by supporting the engine, lowering the subframe a bit, and then getting the sump out. There are posts describing the procedure here.

I have not done that yet, but that is the basic way to clean crud out of the oil pickup screen, so something to look forward to (NOT!). Not sure if that is worth it in your case, especially if you can lift the engine out using a hoist. I may have to do that depending on what I find out when I roll the new chain in. Good luck, hopefully someone else will chime in with some advice.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks, looked at lifting the engine and dropping sub frame, but think in long run take engine out, regrind/polish crank, new timing chain/ensioner check bores check head rebuild, plus the clutch is heavy so might as well do the lot together
cant smile wide enough,
least i own an engineering company so all parts are at cost, and machine work is for nothing,
geoff
i'll keep you lot up to date with what i find

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The loss of power needs explained and repaired. Providing the oil pressure stays correct ( and that we cannot know - no gage) excessive bearing lash will not cause this, but there may be a "deep" rap or knock.
This is a very infrequent occurrence with todays oils and engines - providing the oil is changed when it should be (3 to 6 months)..

The "death-rattle" is a different story - if this is heard, it is time for seriously measuring and inspection of the wear plates(chain guide)..
I'd say the chain is good for 150K miles more or less..
I am at 145 with mine, and all is quiet - knock on steel..
But the oil consumption is high(for a Saab), only 2.7 quarts in the sump after 4,000 miles...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
earthworm said:
...The "death-rattle" is a different story - if this is heard, it is time for seriously measuring and inspection of the wear plates(chain guide)..
I'd say the chain is good for 150K miles more or less..
I am at 145 with mine, and all is quiet - knock on steel..
But the oil consumption is high(for a Saab), only 2.7 quarts in the sump after 4,000 miles...
Very odd... by contrast, I have no measurable oil loss (now that all valve cover leaks are fixed), but the chain tensioner is at the end of its extension. Chain noise starting to be audible with hood up. New chain on hand, just waiting to get it in.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
it has no chain rattle, listen out for that when i bought it 3000 mile ago, (had a 150 thou 9000 run around that had rattle), the death rattle i hear is from the crank, going to do the chain and that while its out, the history shows regular oil changes, i changed it as well using saab oil filter, not going to check oil pressure with a guage dont wont to run the engine, to minimise further damage to the crank, but most oil light are set to come on at a safe low pressure to worn driver of problem, lets face it most people use it as a fill reminder.

geoff

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
OK, got it. I hope I get mine sorted out before that happens. First I heard turbo problems were rare before 100k miles (mine blew a seal at 84k). Then I heard the chain usually lasts until 150k, and mine is past the limit at 110. Better luck from now on.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts