SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
There was snow on the ground when we attached the crank pulley. No problem. But we didn't attach the a/c pulley. It's now 100 degrees. But I can't get the a/c pulley into position, hold it , and the screws inserted at the same time. Is there a trick? Or do I need to pull the crank pulley off, attach the a/c pulley , and then put it all back on. Maybe if I had skinnier fingers....
John in hot Baltimore

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
No trick per say, it's just tight quarters. You could put a stud in one of the holes to hold it, or cut a strip of plastic from something and curl it into a circle to slip into the crank, or maybe have someone hold it from underneath, or possibly use a big magnet.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Yeah, screwing a stud into one of the holes to locate the pulley is the easiest approach. Clean the threads in the crank pulley and leave the stud loose - you don't want to have to fight it once you've got the other bolts in.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yeah, screwing a stud into one of the holes to locate the pulley is the easiest approach. Clean the threads in the crank pulley and leave the stud loose - you don't want to have to fight it once you've got the other bolts in.
Now there is an idea....but why didn't the think of that when designing it ! It is a brand new pulley and lock tight blue would be good... three studs and three nuts would be perfect.. What a great idea...why didn't I think of that? Well I will blame the heat !!! Thanks John in Baltimore

·
Registered
132 Posts
I don't recall specifically, but if the holes in the crank pulley are through holes you have to be sure you don't run the studs through and catch something behind it. Even if that's not an issue, the problem with leaving the studs in is that the limited clearance will be further reduced unless you get the lengths exactly right. I just threw one in to locate it, but fastened it with the original bolts.

·
Registered
5,883 Posts
Yes, I would not use studs for a permanent install ... The risk of one going too deep and damaging something isn't worth toying with. Use a stud or a bolt with its head cut off as a dowel, then the correct bolts.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes, I would not use studs for a permanent install ... The risk of one going too deep and damaging something isn't worth toying with. Use a stud or a bolt with its head cut off as a dowel, then the correct bolts.
Well I looked there is, at the bottom a narrowing, something that would stop penetration. It a matter of cutting the right length, The m6 x 1.0 x 30 are just the exact length for hitting bottom. Gotta get longer tomorrow, and then to experiment ! John in cooler Baltimore only 92 degrees at 8:30 Sunday night!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts