SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys
I have recently purchased the car about a year ago from an owner least to say was careless about everything in the car. Not everyone in Jordan knows how to deal with saab so I went through google and researched how to bypass the Amp1 and here is what I went through in points:
• I found an Amp1 under the seat but was totally fried.
• I took out part of the plug that had 2 optic fiber wires and kept them just in case
• then saw some videos on how to bypass ( not much online) but I managed
• I managed to find tubing that would have the optic fiber wires meet and finally last week inserted them into the Amp1 plug alone
• And boom the radio works, however an ongoing crackling sound is always there and I can’t manage to get rid of it.
If anyone knows how to get this fixed that would be a great help

note:I bought an Amp2 but there is no plug for it in the trunk and I don’t have an Amp1

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
ICM sends commands to O-bus (fiber). So I check ICM and even tried to change it.
You need TECH2 for ICM change.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
ICM sends commands to O-bus (fiber). So I check ICM and even tried to change it.
You need TECH2 for ICM change.
Thanks for replying, do you know what the functionality would be because the shop that has the Tech2 doesn’t know how to work it so they also need directions

·
Registered
9,483 Posts
You can check if there is break in O-bus. TECH2 will tell also where break is (between modules).
Do you have same cracking sound when radio is OFF or in quiet?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
You can check if there is break in O-bus. TECH2 will tell also where break is (between modules).
Do you have same cracking sound when radio is OFF or in quiet?
Not really the crackling sound is only on when radio is on.

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Does the cracking get louder or softer as you change the volume control, or does it remain at the same level?

If you have a very quiet signal such as between tracks, is there still crackling?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Does the cracking get louder or softer as you change the volume control, or does it remain at the same level?

If you have a very quiet signal such as between tracks, is there still crackling?
Well the crackling sound does indeed increase once I raise volume, and If I raise the volume and readjust it to low the amount of crackling just stays as it was when the volume was high. Yes between radio stations! Unfortunately I haven’t tried the CD changer yet but this is all radio.. do you have any suggestions?

·
Registered
9,605 Posts
Do you get the crackling if the engine is off and you are listening to the radio?

I can't say what the answer is. However, there are some possibilities:
  • There is a bad source component
  • There is electrical interference with the radio signal from somewhere, that's why checking a CD might be informative
  • There is an issue with how you looped the optical circuit, but if it is mostly working, that may be unlikely
  • There is an issue with the speakers
  • There is a problem with how you bypassed Amp1, if so, because I don't know what you did, I could not help there

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Do you get the crackling if the engine is off and you are listening to the radio?

I can't say what the answer is. However, there are some possibilities:
  • There is a bad source component
  • There is electrical interference with the radio signal from somewhere, that's why checking a CD might be informative
  • There is an issue with how you looped the optical circuit, but if it is mostly working, that may be unlikely
  • There is an issue with the speakers
  • There is a problem with how you bypassed Amp1, if so, because I don't know what you did, I could not help there
Well let me go through the points individually;
The crackling sound starts lightly once the radio is turned on and increases 3-5 minutes later regardless whether the engine is on or off.
• If there is a bad source component I don’t know how to find that.. ideas?
• I’ll do my best to see if the CD player is different.
• I think there might be an issue with the speakers as they’re really old and dried out .. however I tried an additional speaker aside but still the cracklings remain.
• As for the bypass It was pretty simple after learning that the optics are the main link, I removed the harness receiver from a fried Amp1 and with a vacuum wire I connected the 2 optics together. After that I taped up the outfit pins to prevent any leak of electrical source. I presume there might be a need for a ground/earth line to outsource somewhere (just thinking out loud)

you think it might be breakage in O-Bus as suggested by earlier in the thread, or it may need a wire to earth electricity?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Well let me go through the points individually;
The crackling sound starts lightly once the radio is turned on and increases 3-5 minutes later regardless whether the engine is on or off.
• If there is a bad source component I don’t know how to find that.. ideas?
• I’ll do my best to see if the CD player is different.
• I think there might be an issue with the speakers as they’re really old and dried out .. however I tried an additional speaker aside but still the cracklings remain.
• As for the bypass It was pretty simple after learning that the optics are the main link, I removed the harness receiver from a fried Amp1 and with a vacuum wire I connected the 2 optics together. After that I taped up the outfit pins to prevent any leak of electrical source. I presume there might be a need for a ground/earth line to outsource somewhere (just thinking out loud)

you think it might be breakage in O-Bus as suggested by earlier in the thread, or it may need a wire to earth electricity?
Here is a photo of the bypass
0C05E701-AE4F-4628-B14F-7CB921D23735.jpeg

1 - 13 of 13 Posts