SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as a subscriber to CR I'm happy to see that the 9-3 gets a recommended rating d/t its move to average reliability. I have to agree thus far no major issues.

Saab 9-3

·
Registered
759 Posts
Surprising to see them "recommend" any non-japanese car. The bias at CR is unbelieveable. They routinely rate brand new car models as "predicted reliability:poor" based on no data at all, pure speculation. Even more surprising, the 9-5 has been a recommended car for a few years now, but they still say their reliability is "average".

My Toyota driving, consumer reports thumping buddy has had his 2005 Camry towed to the dealer 3 times. I just laugh and drive on in my "average-poor reliability" Saab and Volvo.

·
Registered
230 Posts
bryubpharm said:
'07 's, but again I have had no major issues with my '06 either.
Thank you, as I am no longer a subscriber I would have otherwise not known this.
It wouldn't have mattered anyway, my mind was made up to get a 9.3.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Nickshu said:
Surprising to see them "recommend" any non-japanese car. The bias at CR is unbelieveable. They routinely rate brand new car models as "predicted reliability:poor" based on no data at all, pure speculation. Even more surprising, the 9-5 has been a recommended car for a few years now, but they still say their reliability is "average".
maybe this is finally starting to change: http://www.saturnfans.com/Company/2007/saturnsrecommendedbycr.shtml

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
CR says that Toyota quality is slipping and they no longer assume that new Toyotas will be reliable.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Toyota is not really a Japanese car company anymore. Little by little they're becoming an American car company, with American employees, and maybe American attitudes.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Let me give you an example of "American attitudes".

How often do you change jobs? In 10 years I've worked for 3 different companies.

In Japan, you work for one company for your life.

As a consequence, "the Toyota way" is not anything that is written down. It is just a number of things that the older employees impart to the younger ones over time.

Do you think that a system like that is going to work in America?

As Toyota has opened plants in the US, it has had to put things on paper that were nothing more than ideas in select Japanese engineers' minds. That isn't an easy thing to do.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Man this is such a fun and easy subject to debate. Pages amongst pages could be filled with opinions of work ethics, commitment, knowledge, structure, attitude, etc, etc. of specific cultures and countries compared to North America, however, I'll refrain as tempting as it is in an effort to un-hijack a pretty good thread until my gas on the fire comment occured.

So....congrats to the 9-3, shame on consumer reports for their biased (we knew this already, right?) reviews, and maybe this will open the public's eyes to how even the almighty CR has their flaws.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Funny how C and R are the first two letters in C R A P. They're recommendations are not historically based on anything. I agree that they are highly Japanese friendly. They've never liked the 9-3. Boo CR!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Think about this. You're a company that is growing at, say, 10% a year. Your corporate culture is based on a bunch of really experienced, really high performing guys doing really extraordinary things.

How do you balance those two things? At that high growth rate, you simply have to hire new people. Nothing is written down. How do you get the new people up to speed on the system?

It can't be done. Which is why Toyota is having so much trouble recently.

You combine that with the fact that they need to bridge culture gaps (and not just America/ Japan), and you are just adding to the problem.

I haven't been a fan of Toyota since the '80s. Loved the late 70's and early '80s RWD Celicas and Supras (owned a '78 Celica GT, great car). They haven't made anything I would buy since they got rid of the Supra.

I was a Honda guy for a long time, so it's not like I don't like any Japanese cars. Although these days I don't think I'd buy any of them.

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Regarding CR, the difference in quality between the worst car and the best car is pretty small. Their obsession with quality blinds them to these small differences.

On the other hand, I guess they can't recommend EVERY car.

·
Registered
2,883 Posts
inyrmnd said:
Funny how C and R are the first two letters in C R A P. They're recommendations are not historically based on anything. I agree that they are highly Japanese friendly. They've never liked the 9-3. Boo CR!
Front page of MSN yesterday highlighted how Toyota have moved to average reliability per CR. Thats a pretty high profile page to put that on.

·
Registered
128 Posts
SMHarman said:
Front page of MSN yesterday highlighted how Toyota have moved to average reliability per CR. Thats a pretty high profile page to put that on.
Yes, and I'd say a lot more accurate. My mother has a Camry and it's pretty average all around. I think they feel safe in saying that Hondas and Toyotas are extremely reliable (which is true) and that European cars are not (because they are expensive to fix). To be fair, they need to also explore Safety and top mileage of vehicles. European cars go much further in both these areas! Especially SAAB. None of my Hondas ever made it past 200K.

·
Registered
1,089 Posts
Krieg said:
Toyota is not really a Japanese car company anymore. Little by little they're becoming an American car company, with American employees, and maybe American attitudes.
I'm afraid this is a very American attitude. Toyota's are made in plants all over the world, many European models are made in the UK. Each plant makes cars that tend to be tailored for each specific market, as other Japanese manufacturers do. So this may be true of the models you get in the US, but it is somewhat of a sweeping generalisation to state that Toyota is becoming a American car company.

You'll be telling me Saab's are American next:(

1 - 20 of 31 Posts