SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just trying to get a solid answer on this. Does the Crankshaft Position Sensor cause a CEL when it is going bad? I would just check to see what codes are coming up but I am waiting on a OBD2 scanner to get here. There is no Autozone type place to get the codes checked for free in Italy.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
What's your car doing (symtoms)? Or you just the CEL?

·
Registered
369 Posts
It can throw a code. i had a misfire on my 2.3 and ran it with an OBD reader attached. The misfire happened and it recorded a pending cel code that it identified as a cps failure. Replaced the cps and misfire and pending code was fixed.

There was no actual cel displayed just a pending code on the reader.

My reader is connected to my laptop so gives more info than a simple reader but it still cost only £15 or so on ebay.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well my car is stalling out when engine gets hot and when I turn off the car for a minute and turn it back on and start to drive. It also tends to be very hesitant from a stop. That is why im guessing its the CPS, but my CEL is on, that is why im asking if the CPS will cause the CEL to come on. I just have to wait 2 weeks for my scanner to get here (live in Italy)to see what code its throwing.

·
Registered
3,951 Posts
I asked because; in another thread some members was unable to get the Saab codes on certain readers. The ones I know work well are the Actrons; but the Torque App does more than just read the Saab codes

When did this problem start?

I will check the vacuum lines. I just replaced them last month.
This is the scanner I got. Didnt have time to wait for ebay bidding. Hopefully this is a good one. No bidding needed"

http://www.google.com/products/cata...=X&ei=92XkT5a-EuLk0QHM973eCQ&ved=0CI8BEPMCMAA

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
This started happening about a month ago. I was on my way to the airport and it stalled. Got it back to the house while the car wanted to stall everytime I let off the gas. Also felt like it had no power. Drove fine after sitting for a day. Then while driving to the store about 2 wks ago, the temp gauge drops and about 10 mins later the upper radiator hose split from. Got it back to the house and replaced the coolant temp sensor and thermostat, and now I have the CEL.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
343 Posts
Limp home?

I sounds like you went into limp home mode, did you check it and reset it? When my CPS was going bad the car would hiccup and it would throw it into limp home mode so it can happen. I replaced it and everything was better then before. I would certainly check the limp home. I also had a stuck thermostat and it cause a limp home also.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts