SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2002 has died and not restarted lately. After a bit of time it will restart but won’t drive far before dying again. I know the cps can cause hot start problems but can it also cause it to die while driving as well? It threw a p1300 code and another that pointed to the cps. The Cps is about 7 months old

The DIC has been eliminated as the problem. I had a new one sitting around.

·
Registered
386 Posts
dying while driving is a symptom I had after changing my CPS

Cause: the CPS had a rubber ring. When I withdrew it, the rubber slipped off and stayed in the hole ( .... ) and I added the new CPS with one rubber ring too many as a result. It was about 1mm further out than it should be as a result, causing (at high revs) a loss of camshaft pulse signal, which in turn turns off the injectors briefly

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Not a bosch.. Does experience here show it needs to be? It has a lifetime warranty so I’ll replace it today for free and see what happens. Nonetheless, a 7 month life expectancy is disappointing.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
Yes, the consensus around here is that any other brand fails way too quickly. What brand did you use, just out of curiosity?

·
Registered
6,357 Posts
Not a bosch.. Does experience here show it needs to be? It has a lifetime warranty so I’ll replace it today for free and see what happens. Nonetheless, a 7 month life expectancy is disappointing.
Do warranty cover also changing costs?

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Let me reinstall the new one ( which is a pretty quick change) and make sure it solves my problem before declaring this brand a dud. Does anybody know what the ohms should measure in these? The old one was around 860, but the new one tests at 967

props to advance auto. They, or at least at my local stores, seem to have a no questions asked policy on lifetime warranty. With receipt, of course. They just handed me a new one and I was on my way quickly.

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The replacement CPS appears to have solved the problem. The brand is Intermotor. First one lasted 7 months and only 5000 miles. Hopefully will turn out to have only been a defective one, as I replaced it with the same brand under the warranty. If this one only lasts a similar duration I’ll try a Bosch next.

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
I need to stop telling my wife about ways these cars of ours can fail and leave people stranded. She's not going to want to drive hers anymore pretty soon. :oops:

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
I'm not sure they're any different from any car.... Every car has a CKP & CPS sensor and a coil pack and a fuel pump. With the exception of the coil pack, any European car is probably going to use materially similar sensors & pumps as a 9-3.... it's all Bosch, right? My Alfa left me stranded when the Bosch CPS sensor died once... :)

Just like with the 2 years zero problems car, I think the key is doing a reset every so often. Replace all the "it will leave you stranded" parts once every 15 years or so and you probably won't get left stranded. :)

·
Registered
9,467 Posts
No, they're definitely not any different than any other car. She just doesn't like old cars in general. They're definitely getting to the point where I can justify replacing certain parts just because they're old, and not having a car payment makes little sensors and other parts a lot more justifiable!

·
Registered
4,720 Posts
Every time we buy an expensive bottle of bourbon or fly to another state to see a concert I'm like "This is what not having a car payment wins." :)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts