SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello to everyone on the forums!

I am new to the saab world. I picked up a 9000 couple weeks ago as a daily beater. Its a 91 5speed turbo. I am not new to turbo cars, I own a 300+ wheel horsepower miata, and a turbo e36 track car.

I am assuming its not the LPT version because its got the factory boost gauge, 3 spoke wheels with 1 inch polished lip, heated and power everything, black with gangster mint green pinstripes! haha

Anyways, I was quick to fabricate a 3 inch manderal downpipe and exhaust with a borla muffler, 3 inch intake pipe with HKS filter, and apexi boost controller set at 14psi via defi gauge. stuff laying around.

Couple questions...

I have read that 14psi seems to be the max with the stock injector set up... Is this true??

I also read that the stock injector size is 240cc... Is this true?

Also, my buddy is junking his 1999 9-3 turbo auto.
Are the injectors from that larger then my 9000's?
Anything else usefull from his car?

I am not really looking to make serious power, just enough to have fun reliably. (Max the stock turbo and call it a day which i figure is about 18-20 psi)

Thanks in advance,
Chelsea

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
std injectors are good for around 300bhp, maybe a little bit more but within the limits of your turbo etc.. - probably around 260 / 270 from your turbo

your boost can go to over 30psi if you want but there,s no value in it, around 20 psi is a typical max for efficiency if you get the fueling / ignition to match, but you,ll need to get the boost cut limit raised to release this

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So the stock injectors support 20psi? What is the AF ratio at that amount of boost, and at what fuel pressure should I be running them? Seems pretty high for the stock 260cc injector.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
ienjoydrifting said:
So the stock injectors support 20psi? What is the AF ratio at that amount of boost, and at what fuel pressure should I be running them? Seems pretty high for the stock 260cc injector.
Don,t know my AFR, about time I did!
A bit more detail
you get your ECU mapped to give an initial high boost ( depending how you want the mid range torque to kick in) - then tail it off as RPM rises, by the time your up past 6000 rpm boost drop to 17 / 18 psi

·
Registered
100 Posts
my 91 9kt was my daily till the snow hit the ground... aprox 270 hp with 3 inch exaust (might as well be refered to as mandrel, the inside diameter never drops in teh corners) and i have SD chips, 300 dollars. there rated at 265 bhp by themselves if im not mistaken, and we figure my car is stg3 hardware so it should make stg3 specs. well over 300 ft lbs of torque.. my friend with a 02 Aero was amazed at the pull this car has.
its reliable as long as i maintain it. simple, check your oil, run synthetic in your trans, simple.

more on the 300 whp miata, definatly interested.. i want a miata so bad since i drove one last summer, but cant find one for cheap as of yet.
JP

·
Registered
100 Posts
well, i have stock redtop injectors, but there not stock to my car, there from 94+ 9ks... but the stock injectors should support my power just fine, its only a 3 lb pr hour difference.

on a side note, highly recommend Swedish dynamics DIAPc and fuel eprom, put a spring on the wg for 10 PSI base boost and ur golden, my car cranks... chris who owns a 02 aero drove my car, said it felt faster then his 9-5 buy quite a bit.. he put down 220 whp at dyno day. i did 205, but that was basicly stock.. broken BPV gave me 277 wheel torque... i think the hp is much higher now, buy like 25, i hope

JP

·
Registered
100 Posts
and about the miatata, i want one so bad, is yours turbod? the one i drove was stock, definatly wouldnt keep up with my 9k, but it handled so amazing, and with some power id love to drive it daily:)

what was the first year for them, if i were to pick one up it must be cheap, im poor. that and a turbo kit and id be good to go:) but really, hows the miata setup,
sorry to threadjack
JP

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
its turbo. started making them in 89 but first actual miata wasnt stateside till 90.

you can turbo one for fairly cheap. A used Greddy kit with intercooler + some other goodies is under 1k. And that will make from 180 to 250 whp with proper fuel and tuning.

·
Registered
956 Posts
ienjoydrifting said:
looks slow.....:lol:

---obviously kidding. i have actually looked into them before for a project and still consider it. looks fun, my buddy had a 260 whp miata turbo, it was a pretty fun car. 260whp and 2200 lbs is pretty nice. now after seeing the pics you tempt me even more. damn you:evil:

---by the way what turbo you got on yours? he had the disco potatoe. forged pistons by the way.... how bout your set up?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yea the stock 260's will only flow enough for maybe 10 psi in my book....

I just got my hands on a set of 360cc Volvo reds that should pop right in right???

SAFC went in today and I'm tossing it on our dyno tuesday to get a decent tune. I am going to max the injectors out on the stock turbo or until I hit an efficient amount of boost.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts