SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey all,

ok i have gotten my hands on a '85 turbo a few months ago and ive been trying to get it to run, but no luck, so ive decided and i am now actually ready to do the turbo swap into my '89 900s n/s enigne. I am aware of the dangers i may run into, but im not too worried as of now. Ok so anyways, here are my questions:

* Does the '85 turbo exhaust headers bolt on directly to my '89 n/a engine block?

* Will my exhaust have to be changed totally after the down pipe? (i believe the turbo's exhaust is biger?)

* Will i have most of the mounting points needed to bold on everything?

* Will the injectors from the T16 fit directly into my n/a engine?

* Will the ECU be compatible interms of running my n/a engine with a bolted on turbo? (im going to be swapping my ECU for the one in the T16, so will that one fuction with my car?)

* The fuel pump, i hear the on in my car should be sufficient for running the turbo set up, true?

* Is there going to be any messing around with wires and such in the harness or anything?

* Do i really need to APC system from the T16 into my caR? Or could i just go buy a boost controler? Will my car run without the APC?

I reaserched a few of these questions but im getting mixed answers....wondering if anyone here knows from experience or just knowledge or whatever the case may be! thanks for the input in advance!!

·
Registered
7,035 Posts
the turbo engine has:
different pistons
the apc system
different manifold
different exhaust
different wiring
different compression
many other things

it would simply be easier to swap say the trans from ur 89 to the 85 if it is good, and make the 85 good from what ever bits from you 89. really, you can't use a n/a and ftp it, loads of different stuff both internally and externally.

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
Are you planning on swapping the entire engine or just the turbo. I would suggest swapping the turbo + head and running an LPT with APC. It may not last forever, but that gives you the best protection against a blown piston. As well the turbo, the header and all that wont be an issue. You take with it the distributor, the injectors and fuel rail, the intake and intercooler, the fuel pump and fuel distributor and all of the wiring neccesary.

I need to drop by!

Edit: So the 85 came from me and I have to say that structurally it doesnt have much of a place on the road :eek: . I think what Jerry wants to do is put together one running beast out of it and his ailing 89 and just let the thing have it for as long as it lasts. I think as long as he doesnt turn the boost up too much it should hold together for a little while.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
What jetman is saying is exactly what i want to do! ( i got the car from him!) Im well aware that the compression, pistons, some wiring and all that are all different from my n/a engine, but i wanted to know if the other stuff ie: the headers, exhaust and all are direct bolt on's. But i believe if i run a low 5 or 6psi, it should be safe enough to not blow my engine! Im swaping over the turbo to my n/a, not the engine. The T16's body isnt the best of shape right now, and has a few things that i just dont want to deal with in fixing up.

The only reason i think this would work, well safely for a little while is because i know a few people who have just about the same compression in their cars running a LPT set up and in fact one of my friends is running a solid 11psi right now in his 1990 miata with a compression similiar to mine. He does have a ECU controller though to run the 11psi, but he was running 5psi before he got it, and it made the car significantly faster! I know those miata's in japan are turboed from the factory, but im sure the saab engine can hold a little boost without blowing to pieces! I know its probably built differently and there are tons of differences between the engines and why his car can hold it and mine may not beable to but its more a trial and error and im willing to take the chances. I dont think it would to hard to do....we put in the turbo in the miata in one saturday and had it running that night!

Now as far as the APC system goes, i have no idea how to take that out, and transfer it into my car...thats why im wondering if i need it! Or could i just buy a boost controller and use that as my APC? And will i need to swap over the ECU?

And yes jetman, feel free to drop by!! Going to take apart the cars this weekend!

·
Registered
433 Posts
I did a swap awhile ago, had a 89 900s and put an 89 900t motor into it. It was fairly easy, easier if you have the two cars, you can see where it went and get references. It took me a week to do that swap start to finish. Some stuff under the dash needs to be added, over boost switch and what not. The fuse box also but that is three bolts and three big clips on the inside of the car and it comes out. pm me if you have any spefic questions.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
so can the APC just be added that easy to my car than? And as for swapping the motors...i would its just i cant get the T16 to run and it needs a clutch and crank pulley as far as i know...thats aside from other things that may pop up that i dont know about, and it has like 300 000km on it, as to my 170 000km :) . I know the enigines can go way up around maybe 450 000km or so before doing major internal work, but at least with my engine i know whats wrong with it, well in terms of im familiar with it already. i know what has been changed and all that. It's in good working order though to add the turbo. It's more a learning experience right now than anything elase..Like i said im not too concerned with it blowing up, ill buy a new car, cause im tired of this slowness!! I NEED TO GO FASTER!! haha and if it does work out, good, i have a LPT car with low insurance premium (well low enough for a young male anyways!)

thanks again

·
Registered
7,033 Posts
The problem is that to swap the T16 motor in he'd have to rebuild it. And I think he's just trying to make a budget bomber for some kicks. I admire it. I was young with a budget V8 TR7:cheesy: I dont know if the turbo exhaust will bolt on to the head, but if it does, do swap the cams. The only difference between a turbo and NA head is the cams (maybe that's the answer right there!!!).

I can't be too critical, afterall, before he got a hold of it I was just going to put the turbo on my 81 8v for a swamp car:cheesy:

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
haha thats what im going for! a budget "bomber"!!! what's a TR7? well its goin to be a trial and error for now....if it bolts on, awesome! if not, ill do the swap of cams too i guess. Ill see if i can get it done in a weekend. thats my goal, a friday night, saturday and a sunday. Anyways, its going down this weekend, regardless, and ill post up to tell all if its doable in a timely manner and if its safe to drive if i get it to work or just a waste of time!!! that way, if all in all its a waste of time and doesnt last more than a block worth of driving, we may never have to talk about an LPT swap into an n/a engine ever again because someone out there took a chance and screwed up his car! ( if all goes for the worst that is) but im hoping for the best!

i think i got all i need for now, im just gona go ahead and do it!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts