SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have had this one for 13 months and have put 45k on it without any serious issues, now at 175k.

1. Drivers window works, but when going up on auto, it reaches the top and comes right back down. While a little frustrating, after a few attempts, I can usually stop it at the top. Any suggestions on a place to start trouble shooting? No tech 2.

2. Clicking sound in engine bay on cold start, generally lasts 15-30 seconds only. Sounds like the a/c clutch engaging/disengaging but upon inspection it is not. Sound appears to be from firewall side front, but doesn't last long enough to be certain. Anything like this common to these?

Thanks in advance.

·
Super Moderator
2,891 Posts
That noise can also be a broken balance shaft chain guide. If you begin to get mysterious overheating issues you'll know for sure it is balance chain related as it turns the water pump. A weak belt tensioner will also make the most noise on start up when put in drive, but I usually describe that as a buzzing or flapping noise. Post a video so we can check it out.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I tried to upload a video, but saw an invalid extension message (mp4). The click lasted approximately 1 minute today and it is coming from under the front cover. Whether it be the timing chain or balance chain, why wouldn't I just change it all out? I'd like to get another 75-100k out of this car. Is there a preferred kit? I'm thinking Cloyes.

Hopefully it will last another 900 miles, I will be off from the 20th to the 5th and can get it done then.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That noise can also be a broken balance shaft chain guide.
We have a winner, it is a broken balance chain guide. The further question is how to handle the repair. I have purchased a Cloyes balance chain kit and a Cloyes timing chain kit (minus sprockets). While I have changed numerous chains and belts before, never on a Saab.

I have concerns as I do not find any timing marks on the cam sprockets, and certainly do not want to make a mistake. It appears I can access and swap out the balance chain while leaving the timing chain on the intake sprocket, presumably not losing "time". I have removed the timing chain tensioner. Would this be sufficient? I don't have cam lock tool, is there a place to rent them online?

chain_set.jpg

·
Registered
1,821 Posts
if u dont have the right cam tools, leave the timing chain alone.
If i was u anyway, i would just replace the balance chain tensioner and its guide and leave it there ..

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Ok, so the window and engine clicking noise are fixed, Thanks for all the help. I elected to change out the balance chain assembly and will send back the timing chain set. Runs great, still need to pull the pan to retrieve the broken guide piece(s).

balance_chain.jpg

·
Registered
53 Posts
I did pretty much the same about a month ago at 155K, only went from pan to timing job. Changed everything except timing tensioner guide cuz sucker won't come out w/o sprocket removal. No tool so just left it. But, no diff in eng noise in my case since bal timing tensioner guide was still doing its job with small piece broken off at the hinge. Never would've known though!

·
Super Moderator
2,891 Posts
Happy to hear you fixed it up! I know the noise you were hearing, we hear it a lot. Many customers just live with it (I hate to say it but Saabs are a dying breed around these parts...) but I'm happy to see you work it out.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts