SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
1. Do you guys leave the A/C on "auto" all winter or turn it off? Will it cause any damage to the compressor either way?

2. Did anyone find rear mudflaps (I know they are ugly) for the US 9-3 2.0T? Any pics?

·
Registered
1,704 Posts
Leaving the a/c on auto is probably best year-round. First, it should only turn the compressor on when needed, and in defrost mode, it helps to have the compressor on to speed up defrosting. Plus I've always heard that the compressor should run from time to time in the winter to keep the seals functioning properly.

That said, I have my a/c compressor set to the 'off' mode (via the setting in the SID). I press the auto button (or the a/c button) only when needed. I always turn the compressor off every time I shut the car off so the compressor isn't on when I start the car. I once read that its better to have the a/c compressor off when starting the car to reduce load on the starter. Realisticly, I seriously doubt it's that big of deal but it's a habit I've gotten into doing on all my cars. Probably the best and easiest thing is to leave the car in auto and let it do its thing.

In regards to the mudflaps, I couldn't find anything doing a very quick search online but I know I have some old accessory catalogs from 2003-2005 that have them in it. I would imagine the flaps from the Linear/Arc would fit on the 2.0T (I know there are no flaps available for the Aero). I can try and get a part number tonight unless someone beats me to it.

·
Registered
6,410 Posts
sptsdn said:
I once read that its better to have the a/c compressor off when starting the car to reduce load on the starter.
I doubt the compressor clutch is engaged until a few seconds after the car is started. The head pressure is also very low when you start any air conditioner unless it is non-bleed metering. I can't imagine that has ever been used on any car because of the high starting torque required.

·
Registered
230 Posts
I always try to shut my A/C compressor off when shutting the vehicle off, that is until the Saab. It is on auto, and I'm leaving it that way however I set the fan to low via the SID.

The rule of thumb on A/C compressors is to let the pressure equalize before restarting, but in a auto compressor, the engine is large enough to overcome any pressures, therefore no damage will result. The proceedure is more for home appliances with A/C motors built into the compressors.

It is true to run the A/C year round to lubricate.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts