SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was driving my friend's Lexus GS 300 the other day and noticed how little body roll there was. When I got back in my car, the body roll annoyed the hell out of me, felt like I was going to flip over when making sharp turns or turns at even reasonable speed!
Well, anyway, I guess I am asking you guys for help on countering body roll. Ive heard of the anti-sway bars and also lowering springs that might help, but does anyone have specifics and other recommendations?

Thanks!
Fima:cheesy:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
1. Stiffer, lower springs and dampeners
2. '02 - on Aero spec anti-roll bars
3. Poly suspension bushings

The last one is for the real nuts. ;)

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
Thats easy, just get an uprated suspension from Eibach, Koni or Bilstein. They lower the car, have stiffer springs/dampers and allow your car to corner without rolling and your passengers feeling seasick. You can also upgrade the ARB's to larger diameter units and as Raven suggests poly bushings. Of all the upgrades i've made to the car the suspension upgrade made the most startling transformation. Do it, you know it makes sense. :cool:

·
Registered
636 Posts
I've heard a great start if you dont have enough money to get a full kit is to get anti-roll bars. Thats what I will most likely end up doing, the only thing is I've heard installation cost is awful. Im gonna try to do it myself when I get them... The rear shouldn't be hard, its the front I'm worried about :confused:

·
Registered
309 Posts
I want to get rid of some of the body roll in my car as well. I've got a 1998 2.3lpt SE and want to know what year aero sway bars will fit my car?

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Shiston said:
I want to get rid of some of the body roll in my car as well. I've got a 1998 2.3lpt SE and want to know what year aero sway bars will fit my car?
Any, but the ones from '02 on are the best. I think all the aeros have the same rear sway bars, but the front is stiffer in 02. Though I'm not 100% certain about that.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I'm sure the uprated ARB's help, I had the aero kit including these fitted to mine a while back, however the new springs, H&R and Eibachs have made a huge improvement above even that ;)

I would go with Kermit's advice if I were to spend it all again, and go for a shocks and springs only upgrade first.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys.

I want to go with the Koni and H&R setup.

The only place I found was PFS.com but its way too expensive there and its from the Uk. tirerack.com has them too, but they are overpriced on everything.
How can I find out what models I need? The Koni website isnt much help.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm getting ready to take the plunge and upgrade the suspension on my 03 Aero sedan. Just wondering, I see kits that consist of damper and springs like H&R, Eibach, Koni...etc., but I also see ones that are "coilovers" which seem much pricier.

What exactly is the difference between these and a traditional set of springs/dampers? Do they take place of the springs? Or is this an addition to?

Also, will the coilovers offer better performance? smoother ride...etc? Any info would be greatly appreciated. I won't mind taking the plunge for a more expensive product if it makes a big difference.

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
A spring/damper combo is exactly that, they are two seperate units that you put on to form the suspension. Coilovers are what they say, the spring (coil) is attached to the damper body in one unit, they are usually a lot more adjustable which is why they are used in racing applications and are a lot more expensive. :cool:

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
A spring/damper combo is exactly that, they are two seperate units that you put on to form the suspension. Coilovers are what they say, the spring (coil) is attached to the damper body in one unit, they are usually a lot more adjustable which is why they are used in racing applications and are a lot more expensive. :cool:
Nice!
Thanks for the info Kermit :lol:

Would you suggest this application over the more traditional spring/damper method for an Aero? Or would it just be overkill as far as money is concerned? Would I really notice much of a ride difference using coilovers? I'm sure just upgrading springs/dampers would improve a good amount as far as handling is concerned. But if I'm gonna do it, I want to do it right!

Also, will the coilovers give too harsh of a ride?

Thanks!

·
Registered
11,030 Posts
I don't know anybody who has a coilover setup yet i'm afraid. As i said they are twice the price of a spring/damper combo, so the question you gotta ask is, "are they twice as good?", just an opinion but i'd say no. If moneys no object you could be the coilover guinea pig. :eek: The main advantage they have is you can adjust the ride height on the car, and also the damping of the unit. Do you know of anybody who's upgraded to a spring/damper combo that would let you have a go, that way you could form your own opinion to the results? Chris, Finn and myself all have different setups, and we all swear blind our setup is best! Suspensions are very subjective, one mans perfect ride equals anothers tooth rattler. :roll: See the link for more coilover details...http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_456&products_id=2541

·
Registered
423 Posts
Kermits 9-5 said:
I don't know anybody who has a coilover setup yet i'm afraid. As i said they are twice the price of a spring/damper combo, so the question you gotta ask is, "are they twice as good?", just an opinion but i'd say no. If moneys no object you could be the coilover guinea pig. :eek: The main advantage they have is you can adjust the ride height on the car, and also the damping of the unit. Do you know of anybody who's upgraded to a spring/damper combo that would let you have a go, that way you could form your own opinion to the results? Chris, Finn and myself all have different setups, and we all swear blind our setup is best! Suspensions are very subjective, one mans perfect ride equals anothers tooth rattler. :roll: See the link for more coilover details...http://www.partsforsaabs.com/product_info.php?cPath=2_189_456&products_id=2541
Thank you Kermit :)

I think you answered my question though. Money is w/o a doubt an object that I don't have a limited amount of, and for some reason...I highly doubt that the coilovers are twice as good. I'm not looking to go out on a track and lower my car so it's only 1 inch above the ground. Just would like to improve handling and minimize body roll...so from what I've read between yourself, Chris and Finn....I'd say that all of your opinions are valued enough to trust in the department, plus other modifications. :D

I think I'll save the money, get the springs/shocks and put whatever is leftover towards some breathing upgrades for now.

I just have a thing about kicking myself in the butt for not doing something that I should've in the first place...but I also don't want to go overkill and waste money either. I think that doing the suspension first would give me that much more enjoyment out of my Aero as it is. Engine mods after that will just be even more of a bonus!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
cryptical said:
I think that doing the suspension first would give me that much more enjoyment out of my Aero as it is. Engine mods after that will just be even more of a bonus!

Thanks again!
I think that is a very sensible plan ;) You will carry more speed through corners etc and the effect will be a better performing car ;)

Oh and Kermit is quite right, my set up is better than his :p

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
cryptical said:
I think that doing the suspension first would give me that much more enjoyment out of my Aero as it is. Engine mods after that will just be even more of a bonus!
I honestly can't fathom more power at this point. Though after last nights thrashing I can tell the suspension needs work. So understeery and soft when you really push it. This is the way the base model should drive, not the high performance model. :nono;

My first mod is going to be braided brakes lines. Been working on left foot braking lately and I need a firmer, finer pedal.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Raven18940 said:
I honestly can't fathom more power at this point.
You sure you're feeling ok? Maybe you need to make sure. :lol:

After driving some other cars lately (specifically my buddy's new CL55 AMG), I'm after a LOT more power these days. :D

Granted a different class of car, but it sure makes my Aero feel sloooooooooowwwwwwww. Not to mention I got completely dusted the other day by some kid in a VW R32...that just made me cry! :cry:

·
Registered
5,641 Posts
Well maybe a Stage 1, but nothing more than that. I saw a CL55 AMG the other day. I was trying to provoke the guy into a race just to hear the exhaust note, but he wouldn't bite. :cry: But drag racing is for teenagers, used to be fun, but not anymore. I get a much greater rush attacking corners, though none of my friends can keep up with me now.

·
Registered
905 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I dont want any more power either. I am VERY satisfied with my 200 horses :cheesy:

Like Raven said, I get a rush out of doing sharp turns and feeling in control at high speeds rather than drag racing with some shmuck from one green light to another. :lol:

:cheesy: I heart my sport button :cheesy:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts