SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi.

I have a 2001 2.3 Turbo Aero car. I have "PARK ASSIST FAILURE" message on SID. I am trying to figure out broken sensor. I have a ELM327 clone and Android Torque pro app and for this, I have tried to read fault codes but nothing has been returned. I have tried with some other apps but the result was the same. Also I couldn't find distance sensor data in these apps. In WIS, there are some fault codes for this error message but I cannot know which conforms to my situation. What am I doing wrong while trying to get fault codes or read sensor data? What should I do?

Thanks.

·
Registered
308 Posts
Hi.

I have a 2001 2.3 Turbo Aero car. I have "PARK ASSIST FAILURE" message on SID. I am trying to figure out broken sensor. I have a ELM327 clone and Android Torque pro app and for this, I have tried to read fault codes but nothing has been returned. I have tried with some other apps but the result was the same. Also I couldn't find distance sensor data in these apps. In WIS, there are some fault codes for this error message but I cannot know which conforms to my situation. What am I doing wrong while trying to get fault codes or read sensor data? What should I do?

Thanks.

You will need a Tech 2 or other scanner that can read the body codes. The elm327 will only read powertrain/engine codes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You will need a Tech 2 or other scanner that can read the body codes. The elm327 will only read powertrain/engine codes.
Thanks. You mean there is a restriction. So is this restriction a software restriction or a hardware one? I mean Tech 2 is connected to where ELM327 is connected. So theoretically ELM327 can read all data that Tech 2 can read. What is the reason behind this restriction? I read some articles on net about hacking OBDII. So is it possible to read all data with ELM327 with any way?

Regards...

·
Registered
888 Posts
OBD II requirements for OEMs require that a generic scan tool can read power-train and emission DTCs so the scan tool can communicate with the PCM. Generic scan tools typically can't communicate with the TWICE, DICE, ABS or any other module on the vehicle. Could you hack the ELM327 software to make it work? Maybe, but I wouldn't bet on it. Better off getting a Chinese Tech 2 for a few hundred bucks and not have to worry about it. Even if you could hack the software to read DTCs, you wont get functionality of the Tech 2 in terms of the diagnostics available, ability to change parameters, add keys and monitor PID data.

·
Registered
9,816 Posts
Thanks. You mean there is a restriction. So is this restriction a software restriction or a hardware one? I mean Tech 2 is connected to where ELM327 is connected. So theoretically ELM327 can read all data that Tech 2 can read. What is the reason behind this restriction? I read some articles on net about hacking OBDII. So is it possible to read all data with ELM327 with any way?
It's like you can go to a public website and read the information it provides. But if you want to change the website software, you need another level of login and more software tools that a web browser.

The software cards for Tech II are 32Mb for later Saabs, and the Tech II has more processing power than a generic ODBII reader. There is no way to get your ELM to work with its existing hardware, and you need the proper software anyway. The simple thing is to get a clone Tech II.

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
Just buy one sensor (cheap used) and swap ...at most if you are unlucky you will have to do it X4.

Some say you can hear working ones click but that has never worked for me ..perhaps my hearing is bad!

Tech2 will give you the error code and the location on rare occasions it can be due to wiring but the sensors do fail..think I have changed two now on my 2001 Aero

·
Registered
7,966 Posts
FWIW even with a Tech 2 you might not figure it out.

I chased a parking assist failure error in my 2003 Aero for a long time and finally gave up. It was somewhere in the wire harness and related to the "rear brake failure" that I would get occasionally as well.

Never did figure it out, sold the car (fully disclosing that this was a gremlin)

·
Registered
1,258 Posts

Regards...
A reader can read and erase codes not much a tech II is made for locating issues and set up all the system every brand have his own system for avoiding peoples going for example in the airbags setup and induce any ignition inside.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts