SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to install an alternator bracket, part #55564667 on my 2003 Saab 9-5 Aero 2.3T Wagon. I have Saab WIS, but I can't find the Torque setting for the (4) 13mm bolt that hold this bracket on.

Have any of you installed this part? Do you know where to find the torque setting for the (4) bolts? Thanks

·
Registered
939 Posts
I don't think that a specific torque is critical on that part. I would snug the bolts well and be done with it.

·
Super Moderator
1,916 Posts
I don't think that a specific torque is critical on that part. I would snug the bolts well and be done with it.
Agreed. Many components are torque sensitive, that does not look like one of them IMO.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
Somewhere in the WIS is a general torque chart for any fastener that doesn't have a torque value specified. The bolts for that bracket fall under that. I took a quick look and couldn't find the chart, but someone else may remember where it is. I want to say that an M8 bolt, like those are, is somewhere around 20 Nm. You could also use the torque value for any of the other bolts that attach to the timing cover, since they're all the same size. I agree with the other guys that snug is good enough for that, though. It's nearly impossible to get a torque wrench on the lower two bolts anyway. I have torqued the upper two with a torque wrench, just to get an idea of about how tight they should be.

·
Registered
421 Posts
Just curious do you normally put Loctite blue on the ones that have no specific torque called for, but just snug them up? It's always made me a little nervous, what is snug to one person may not be snug to another.

·
Registered
10,280 Posts
No Loctite unless it's specified by Saab. About the only bolts I can think of off the top of my head that should have it are some of the suspension bolts and the flywheel bolts, but the WIS will always say if it should be used, and you can see the blue or red residue when you take bolts off that had it. "Snug" is definitely up for misinterpretation. I would wager that the average person could easily strip an M8 bolt screwed into aluminum with a 3/8" ratchet. I saw that the techs at a local Saab shop used a 1/4" ratchet to tighten bolts that didn't need a torque wrench. I mentioned that to the tech who was at the counter, and he said that it was too easy to overtighten bolts with anything bigger.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info, there is a section in the Saab WIS under > Basic Engine 4 cylinder Petrol > Tightening torques that says if the bolt is M10 that the tightening torque is 40nm. The bolt that holds that part on is part # 11900373, but I haven't been able to find a reference as to what size the bolt is.

·
Premium Member
4,286 Posts
what is snug to one person may not be snug to another.
I have three brothers, we all grew up building and playing with 70's muscle cars, one brother had the nickname 'the breaker'...he would tighten a bolt someone would say "that's good enough John" and inevitably the next thing you would hear is "dammit!!!" as he broke the bolt.

·
Registered
2,339 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I have three brothers, we all grew up building and playing with 70's muscle cars, one brother had the nickname 'the breaker'...he would tighten a bolt someone would say "that's good enough John" and inevitably the next thing you would hear is "dammit!!!" as he broke the bolt.
That's my fear, it's easy to do that with these cars. I've already stipped one of the nuts with a strut mount.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts