SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Greetings:

Does anyone know whether or not if I could use a good ATF for my 3 speed A.T.? It states for me to use type F fluid which is Ford, but do I have a Borg Warner transmission or what? I thought Borg Warner was GM related? Also since my tranny lines run into a independent cooler located just under the passenger side bumper. Usually when I flush out my tranny, I do the old disconnect the return line from the radiator and allow the car to run and drain/stop/refill in equal amounts etc, close up line project concluded. The lines on my tranny seem to be sort of awkward, should I elect to flush out my tranny (I never accelerate the engine), unless I get creative? Then I could just drain the pan 2-3 times within 30 days or less? How many quarts does the pan hold, and are the filters for the 1991 900 16 valve 2.0 turbos of paper element or is it a metal mesh/screen? When I change my fluid, I usually do so every 10,000 miles or less when I use mineral based fluid. Some of the decent ATF universal fluid is Ford and or Mecron/mercon V compatible. Also on the final drive drain, could I use mineral based 80w-90 gear oil rated GL-4 OR GL-5? Are synthetic and or semi-synthetic gear oils no good for the final drive on a A.T. setup? Do I have to remove the undercarriage plate to do a drain and refill for the final drive. I noticed the A.T. to have a flat head screw like drain plug. Are these tranny stout and or robust? What model has the strongest tranny? Please all input would be greatly appreciated:) !! Thanks in Advance

Best Regards:) !

1991 900 turbo 16 valve 2.0 A.T. 174,000 plus original miles.

·
Registered
906 Posts
It is a BW unit, but use type F or FA ONLY in these beasts.

The typical flush routine is to drain as much as you can, fill and run through the gears, drain, fill and run through the gears, drain, fill and run through the gears, drain, and fill. When you drain (the drain plug is the flat head screw) you will only get about 3 quarts out, and IIRC, the total capacity is about 12 quarts. Since draining does not get all the old fluid out (the torque converter holds quite a bit), the drain/fill routine dilutes the old stuff until it's pretty much new fluid.

The filter is metal mesh.

Final drive is 80-90 gear oil.

Are the automatics stout and robust? Probably not. But really not any worse than the manual trannys. Keep the fluid clean, adjust the front band if needed, make sure the kick down cable is adjusted correctly, don't drive like an idiot and it will last for a good long time.

·
Registered
18,382 Posts
BW made the first Ford automatics in the early 50's, technically Type F is BW fluid but Ford spec'ed the same fluid for the trannies they made in-house ;)

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks! I guess I could drain and refill once or twice a week for 3-4 weeks until the fluid is nice and clear/red (grit free). I guess the filter should be good for a moment. However, I may change it seen for my maintenance records. I know Lucas makes some pretty good gas treatments (upper cylinder lube), but how about their tranny supplement, or is it just "overated 20w-50 weight molasses" that won't do much to help my tranny? What is the capacity of the final drive? As far as driving sane, I agree, most all of my mileage is gradual non-abusive hwy mileage, its ok to have a little fun, but not the kind that would eventually destroy your cars components. I am one for good strict maintenance and appreciation for quality automobiles! Type F and or FA it shall be:) !

Thanks again!

philbert said:
It is a BW unit, but use type F or FA ONLY in these beasts.

The typical flush routine is to drain as much as you can, fill and run through the gears, drain, fill and run through the gears, drain, fill and run through the gears, drain, and fill. When you drain (the drain plug is the flat head screw) you will only get about 3 quarts out, and IIRC, the total capacity is about 12 quarts. Since draining does not get all the old fluid out (the torque converter holds quite a bit), the drain/fill routine dilutes the old stuff until it's pretty much new fluid.

The filter is metal mesh.

Final drive is 80-90 gear oil.

Are the automatics stout and robust? Probably not. But really not any worse than the manual trannys. Keep the fluid clean, adjust the front band if needed, make sure the kick down cable is adjusted correctly, don't drive like an idiot and it will last for a good long time.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
900t said:
BW made the first Ford automatics in the early 50's, technically Type F is BW fluid but Ford spec'ed the same fluid for the trannies they made in-house ;)
Good to know I never knew that!

Thanks!

·
Registered
906 Posts
If the transmission is shifting as it should, and you change the fluid, there is no need for a supplement. On a tranny that may be on its last legs, then go for it, it's not going to hurt anything at that point and may help a bit.

The Lucas stuff is ok, it's awfully thick though!

·
Registered
888 Posts
philbert said:
If the transmission is shifting as it should, and you change the fluid, there is no need for a supplement. On a tranny that may be on its last legs, then go for it, it's not going to hurt anything at that point and may help a bit.

The Lucas stuff is ok, it's awfully thick though!
I am not a believer in oil additives, however, I must say I had a Subaru Outback with a 4 speed auto that developed a nasty slip between 3rd and 4th at about 80,000 miles. A fluid/filter change did nothing to help. I tried the lucas additive as a last ditch effort to delay a rebuild for a while with low expectations. I was shocked to see that the problem went away and the transmission shifted fine for the rest of the time I owned the car. Don't understand it, but it was the best $10.00 I ever spent!:lol:

1 - 8 of 8 Posts