SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My mechanic says it will cost $800 to replace the rusty muffler and exhaust pipe on my '99 9-3 SE. Is it really this expensive? How difficult would it be to replace these parts myself?

·
Registered
5,905 Posts
It not bad at all, I have replaced although not at once, the whole exhaust on my mom's 900. I agree with DIP, since you live in the rust belt, go stainless.

·
Registered
1,887 Posts
i don't know how much of your exhaust is rusted but i replaced the muffler, tip, and cutout the resonator and ran a straight pipe for all less than $100 although the exhaust i had was a stainless bosal replacement the previous owner had installed. i welded everything myself

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
lotusb said:
My mechanic says it will cost $800 to replace the rusty muffler and exhaust pipe on my '99 9-3 SE. Is it really this expensive? How difficult would it be to replace these parts myself?
Welcome to Saab Central, Lotusb, the home of DIY and gripers of high dealer prices.
This rear muffler is expensive, maybe $250 or so, then there is no more than 1.0 hour of labor.
Todays "mechanics" seem to have more generous times...
The other $450 ?
Priceless.

http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1165&cat=1015

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks!

At least I now know what the parts ought to cost, even if I don't decide to replace it myself.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
another (new Saab owner) question

The Saab mechanic said it was the "resonator" that needed replaced--do 9-3s have a separate resonator? or did he just mean the rear muffler?

·
Registered
525 Posts
The resonator is $89.90 on eEuroparts (see the link above). Or, you can just weld a straight 2.25" pipe instead. Either way, it's not even close to $800.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
lotusb said:
The Saab mechanic said it was the "resonator" that needed replaced--do 9-3s have a separate resonator? or did he just mean the rear muffler?
http://www.eeuroparts.com/searchresults.aspx?&carid=1165&cat=1015

"Resonator" and muffler are much the same. Both parties should use the same terminology..
The cost of living is extremely high today - I cannot get used to it...
$50(parts and labor,w/o tax) for a complete exhaust system for a Saab 96 - and we thought this was a lot !
Seemingly your mechanic is trying to cope with this..
Gouge or be gouged :nono;

Go by Dip's advice...
And/or learn DIY...
It is not that hard..

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
the meineke guy told me...

That "all parts I could buy online were performance systems and that they'd be really loud." This sounds like crap to me--what do you all think? The eeuroparts has an Genuine Saab rear muffler, which should be the same kind as is on there now, right?

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Performance systems do tend to be louder; cheap ones are worse.

For OEM quality (good for 80 to 90 K miles), maybe more; spend the bucks.
The good ole 60s are over...

·
Registered
4,293 Posts
lotusb said:
That "all parts I could buy online were performance systems and that they'd be really loud." This sounds like crap to me--what do you all think?...
It's crap.

You can buy parts which are close to identical to the OEM parts.

On Eeuroparts, "genuine Saab" is an oem part, or a part from the same manufacturer. The Walker exhaust parts are decent, they just don't last as long. Similar in quality to Midas or Meineke.

The Saab replacement muffler comes with a welded black tip, which I personally like. For someone who wants a chrome tip, cutting it off would be an inconvenience <shrug>. It is NOT identical to what came on the car originally, but it is the SAME part that a Saab dealer would install, and there is no increase in noise.

If you replace the resonator, which is the middle section of the exhaust, with a straight pipe, the exhaust WILL get louder, similar to the oem Saab "Sport" exhaust.

·
Registered
18,803 Posts
I'd give someone making their first post here a break....
I give a new guy props just for using the search tool, although my preference is always for a new owner-specific thread anyway. Some forums are massively a-retentive about starting new threads and not using an old one (like it matters when their forum has 15 years and 10,000 threads... but they still flame you for starting your own and not finding some marginally related post "they" all insist you should use instead).

1 - 18 of 18 Posts