SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

I was just wondering if anyone could give me a rough estimate of the cost for a timing belt/tensioner/pully job. I just bought a 1999 9-3S with 123,000 miles for $4000. Everything checks out well, and it was part of a government fleet, but I didn't get service records. I have only owned BMWs before, so I know the importance of replacing the timing belt, but I'm wondering about the cost on the 9-3.

Just looking for ballpark prices, and hoping that the cost will be under $600 or so. I will be getting repairs done at Ed Schmidt in Perrysburg, Ohio, so let me know if you have any experience with the dealer.

Thanks,
mryan

·
Registered
10,597 Posts
You don't have a timing belt, you have a timing chain, so don't worry about it. The chain should be good for the life of the car.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the quick reply. What were the Saab timing belt problems I have heard my friends talking about?

·
Registered
818 Posts
The Saab timing belt issues

are related to the V6 engine which has four cams and lots of complicated and expensive belt hardware, that engine came out in the first New Generation 900 models in 1994 as an option to the 2.3l non-turbo and 2.0 liter turbo engines. Not sure when it disappeared, 1997 I think, it was also used in the larger 9-5 sedans. Like anything else, it's a good system unless you ignore the maintenance requirements, which included changing the pair of expensive tensioners periodically, plus it's a tight workspace crowded with stuff,

Good luck,

John
1997 900S 2.3 5 speed 'vert

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
No service records, yet from a "government fleet " ??
Have the vehicle comprehensively inspected by an expert.. You may need service work done worth more than $600 (pessimist):( or $60(optimist):cheesy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's a legit government service vehicle. Sold at state surplus auction, Carfax reports it as a one-owner fleet vehicle titled to the state capital, and it is/was titled to the Department of Agriculture/Weights and Measures.

I have small-scale service records -- oil changes, preventive maintenance, and the receipts from the service record up to the 100,000 mile service. Nothing since then, though.

When I have an interference engine with a belt, the first thing I do is swap out the timing belt/pulley/tensioner.

mr

·
Registered
85 Posts
Idler pulley was $22 and the belt was $20 as of last week ha. I was planning on replacing mine as a precaution about two days before the belt failed on me. Good idea!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts