SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
This has been bothering me for a while, but it's been low on my priority list of things to fix. I should have not waited. What a mess....

The aluminum support piece on my 03 Aero has had some paint peeling from it and a bit of corrosion as shown in the first photo. Like I said, a minor annoyance and something that I would get around to "sometime"

yesterday was that "sometime" for me and I'm glad that I did it. As you can see from the second and third photo, the corrosion went way beyond that small area that was visible and pretty much all of the paint on the inside and under the plastic was gone and the corrosion was pretty extensive.

Diasasembly is a pain in the butt, but once I got it apart cleaning the crud took a couple of hours. Soaking in CLR then a stiff wire brush and a small wire brush wheel on my drill got most of it. Some of the stuff down in the crevices I scraped with a screwdriver and got it as good as I could. The rubber gasket was caked in the stuff too and that had to soak for a couple of hours as well.

Now painted with a couple of coats of primer and then flat black paint and it's as good as new.

So, if you have small areas of corrosion, I'll bet that the problem is much worse than you can see. Better get on with the cleaning now!

Attachments

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
This was my driver's side as well. My son's older (99) has no issues on either side (that I can see)

A couple of tips:

1: Getting the plastic cover off isn't that hard when you figure it out. There is a tab on the plastic that clicks behind a tab on the aluminum, bend it out ever so slightly and tap the cover to slide it, it'll come off.

2: getting the mirror out is tricky. There is a clip-spring that runs around the whole mirror. The ends are on the front (toward the door) edge of the mirror. Reach in with a very long pair of needle nose pliers and unclip the ends, then pull the clip around and release. The mirror then will just pop off. To reinstall, put the clip on where it belongs and "press" the mirror onto the motor.

3: I could not figure out how to get the mirror shell (colored) off without breaking it. There are 4 tabs that hook around the aluminum and the first one broke even though I was barely pushing on it. I chose to leave it alone and just mask it to paint the mirror mount.

4: the aluminum is going to be pitted a bit, but I sanded it and it came "almost smooth". But you are going to be able to see the pits if you look close when I'm done.

I wasn't expecting this much of a mess and was thinking I was only going to paint the triangle part but it would be easier with the mirror off than masking the car. Glad I decided to take it off and clean it right. The paint is drying outside now, I'll post a photo when it's done.

(Oh, and I live in California, where rust and corrosion aren't really an issue. But this started with I lived in upstate NY and it's been on the to do list for 4 years now!)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Thank you for the tips!! I was just wondering where I would find clear instructions on how to remove the assy from the door....

·
Registered
7,986 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
the mirror-assembly removal is pretty straightforward.

Take off the plastic trim piece that goes around the window, it snaps off.

unplug the mirror control switch to get the trim piece completely off

unplug both wires to the mirror

undo the 4 Torx screws that hold the mirror to the door Three right around the wires and one outside near the front of the door.

pull, it'll stick a bit but it comes off pretty easy.

·
Registered
869 Posts
Uncle Miltie, I got to looking a little harder at the wife's passenger side mirror. There are bubbles in the paint on that side, too..... :( Oh well, I'll get her all fixed up purty.... :)

·
Registered
869 Posts
Welp, most likely Saturday is the "some day" for me to tackle this job, Uncle Miltie. Thanks for the great tips - I'm sure I will put them to use!! ;ol; I'll try to remember to take pics and post them up once I'm done.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts