SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2005 9-3 Arc Automatic 135,000 miles

I just did a front strut replacement and I installed 93190092 front struts as recommended by the online parts dealership.

However, after some investigation I find that I was supposed to install 93190091 front struts (which is for standard suspension, ie not the sport suspension).

1. What is the official info from Saab? Is this a superseded part number? Are 93190092 for lowered vehicles?

2. What are the effects of the parts swap? Have other people substituted Saab OEM sport struts when replacing worn standard duty struts? Is this an upgrade or a problem? Do I need to change other suspension parts accordingly (rear sport shocks)?

(all Sachs parts)
Label on old worn struts:
82 4904 001 168
v4503
yellow stripe at bottom of label

new installed struts:
82 4904 007 322
v4073s
purple and yellow stripe at bottom of label

Thanks everyone! Im hoping to get some unbiased information.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
As Diggs has said not really anything to worry about. Difference in stock to sport suspension setup is 10mm (tiny amount). Valving in sport strut may make car ride a bit stiffer though. I think the springs in the sport setup make more of a difference for that. When you have to do the rears put the sport version on if you can.

·
Registered
5,473 Posts
It is possible based on your VIN that you have the sport setup from the factory. Run your VIN at thesaabsite.com and you can find out for sure. Also your chassis code on door jamb plate will help with that as well.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
fixed

I got a reply from the online parts dealership. My 2005 saab 9-3 arc had standard suspension, I received the sports suspension struts.

Somewhere along the line the Saab catalog got some numbers crossed. The code that the catalog pulls up is 17 which is for 93190092, but your front strut code is actually 13 which is 93190091 (standard).

In summary: be careful when looking up strut codes by VIN. Be sure you are getting the parts that match your car (standard vs sport).

The VIN lookup at thesaabsite.com was very useful. Thanks AVGuy.

Kelly Saab was nice enough to send me the correct struts and a fedex label to exchange the incorrect ones.

·
Registered
238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
strut feel

Im not sure I will have an answer for you regarding the ride quality. I really dont have much to compare it to. It's still in project car phase, and I only test drove the stiffer struts for a couple miles before it went back in the garage for repairs on everything else. Before then, I had limped it home from the seller $1000 poorer with a blown strut that would bottom out periodically.

I will say that I from the research I did (and my understanding of it), I realized that the sport susp package has stiffer, thicker springs and a thicker sway bar. The sports struts are made to match those components.

So I'm happy that I went back and matched the struts to the standard springs and standard sway bars. For the most part, my personal philosophy* on car repairs is to trust the engineers and keep the original system intact.

*no offense to anyone who enjoys upgrading, and thanks to everyone who took the time to reply

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.