SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys,

I put in BCPR6E-11 plugs into my 2.3 9-5 today, and now it misfires to f**k at idle, i only had it on for about 45seconds but about once every 3 seconds it seems to splutter. put in those plugs as its in NGK guidebook for standard lpts.

What plugs should i use? I was going to go for the bcpr7 ones on elkparts but i go away on thursday for holiday so i wasn't wanting to wait until after to change them as they around a year old anyway.

she ran better on the 7's (which i took out) but was taking longer to fire up than usual which is why i was changing.

Should i switch back to 7's, or i'm wondering should i go up to 8's? on elkparts as "for highly tuned saabs" highly tuned is a bit of a broad term. is that ie 400+bhp.

car spec
stg 3 lpt+intercooler, delivery pipe, turbo intake pipe and 06 snorkel. custom mapped to around 270hp.

recommendations? really need help.

Should i not drive her until i change them again or will she be ok she won't blow or anything?

Cheers,
Tom

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for your reply. Do you think i will be safe to run with the 6's for a couple of days or not?

Tom

·
Registered
1,105 Posts
Thank you for your reply. Do you think i will be safe to run with the 6's for a couple of days or not?

Tom
are you cable of seeing SID info? (a la t7suite) if so you could pull up that info to get an accurate count of miss fires. it is in the sid info as "MiFi"

if it is stumbling at idle, that is odd.... leave it running for a few minutes at idle and see if it figures things out?

·
Registered
2,204 Posts

Tom
I have a mild t7 suite'd ecu and I can tell you the amount of knock I had on 6's was *insane*. And all but none with 7's...

So, read into that as you may seem fit; I was cringing all 15 miles to the store to get new 7's... And driving *very* casual.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
I run 7's ;)

·
Registered
463 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
thanks for all replies guys. she has figured herself out at idle ie ecu has adjusted i think, and i've kept the turbo ihn the white rather than yellow and red, half way through yellow she hits almost like fuel cut!

bought some 7's last night from an ebay seller with next day deliver and not driving her till i go home to fit them. properly babied it from my parents to my flat yesterday, we're talking 55-60 motorway cruise B-) but she still only got 34mpg! normally gets 40mpg at 65-70mph avg. shows what a difference plugs make!

Cheers for all the info, much obliged!

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
Some good info here, thanks. I am going to go pick up a set of the 7s from an autostore this weekend, although i'm pretty sure i have a set of them in my car already (just due for a change).

Do these plugs come in both platinum and standard? (sorry, forgot the name of the material for "regular" spark plugs. can't think right now:confused:)

·
Registered
419 Posts
Interesting, would there be a problem with the Aero specified NGK PFR6H-10 plugs? Eventually going to tune, but would like to make sure to avoid this kind of problem beforehand.

·
Registered
22,211 Posts

·
Registered
1,621 Posts
So even with an aero, should the BCPR7E-11 plugs work just fine?

·
Registered
419 Posts
Well, i'm guessing with the longer change intervals cost would turn out about the same using the platinum plugs. Whatevs, as long as it don't give me problems i'm settled.

·
Registered
2,204 Posts
The platinums that you listed are of heat range '6', which is too hot a plug for a tuned saab, IMO. Most all professional tuners say to run the BCPR7ES-11 (the -11 is just the gapping; If stores just have the BCPR7ES plugs, then gap them to slightly under 1mm if you're tuned. You may have to play with it a bit.

Running copper plugs is really the way to go. You'll notice, especially on a tuned car, that the car will really enjoy new plugs and I tend to change mine at least every 10K or more. Why? They cost me $8.50 total with tax, and as we all know, it takes moments only to change them. So why not? (Ie. I change them about every other oil change, if not the 3rd change).

And for those of you running biopower 'bin's and eventually plan on throwing some e85 in the machine when you may be around it, I forget the reasoning, but you are *NOT* to run platinums with e85 biopower 'bin files.

For those of you running STOCK cars, on 6 series plugs, you are fine, although if you drive the car harder than 'most' drivers, I'd personally look into the 7 series; You may notice a bit longer start (we're talking 1-2 seconds, if), but I bet you see a more consistent performance from the car.

And the 'fuel cut' you were sensing is probably the car sensing knock, dumping fuel, cutting timing, and wayyy cutting boost, all at the same time. If you were to listen, I be you'd have heard an * awful* crackling sound...

·
Registered
22,211 Posts
Running copper plugs is really the way to go. You'll notice, especially on a tuned car, that the car will really enjoy new plugs and I tend to change mine at least every 10K or more. Why? They cost me $8.50 total with tax, and as we all know, it takes moments only to change them. ..
+1

Totally agree and is recommended by several established tuners ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts