SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
SAAB 2.0t biopower
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,
For a SAAB 9.3 MY2009 what is the correct position for the thermostat in its housing. There is nothing precise on the WIS. I had thermostat changed by Saab dealer, but it never opens (but it opens in hot water, so it is ok). I opened the thermostat housing and the central bar was 12 o'clock, so the lower arm of the thermostat was just in front of the returning pipe for the heater core. On videos I saw, the thermostat was either 9 o'clock or 2 o clock so both being not in front of the heater core and pipe to the water pump.

·
Registered
13,812 Posts
Is your car overheating?
If thermostat does not open, engine will overheat.

·
Registered
SAAB 2.0t biopower
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes slightly in moutain driving. I suspect indeed thermostat not to be fully open. But the position seems to matter a lot

·
Registered
13,812 Posts
Is your cooling fan working when you drive in mountains?

·
Registered
2008 2.0 9-3 Linear petrol Automatic/Manual
17 Posts
Currently in the process of thermostat change, from what I’ve read it seems bleeder hole should be at 12 o clock leaving the top “arms” going horizontally

·
Registered
SAAB 2.0t biopower
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yes cooling fan running. Also checked by Tech2. In my thermostat I have no bleeder hole. I have seen tutorials where Indeed the thermostat appears to have horizontal arms, and vertical arms should be avoided since the return pipe from the heater core is 'blocked'. That said if the thermostat is fully horizontal it will move in its housing ? Since the inside the housing it s not totally round, I suspected it to lock the thermostat

·
Registered
17 Posts
yes cooling fan running. Also checked by Tech2. In my thermostat I have no bleeder hole. I have seen tutorials where Indeed the thermostat appears to have horizontal arms, and vertical arms should be avoided since the return pipe from the heater core is 'blocked'. That said if the thermostat is fully horizontal it will move in its housing ? Since the inside the housing it s not totally round, I suspected it to lock the thermostat
So my thermostat definitely doesn’t lock into place, have you got the a thermostat that has the rubber gasket ring around the rim of it? That should hold it in place and fit perfectly. There’s nothing other than the rubber and pressure from the housing (when bolted) holding the thermostat in place and it should be ok like that. But if your gasket is not actually a part of the thermostat when slotted into the housing it’s gonna let coolant leak. When I took mine out the old ring was sitting on top of the Stat, so I assumed that’s how it is, put in my new Stat threw the gasket on top and coolant everywhere. Got a new ‘Gates’ thermostat with gasket around the rim and fitted perfectly

·
Registered
SAAB 2.0t biopower
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello, yes it has a rubber ring, and thermostat is 54 mm. But even with the ring there is, say a 1 mm gap at the 12 o clock position so the thermostat can move in its housing. My Saab dealer says you have to put the thermostat and turn it slightly until a lower arm meets the part connecting the internal heater which is much narrow than the housing. Then thermostat is locked. In this case it is about 2 o clock and both the pipe connecting to the inner core and water pump are free. If you go to far the inner core is 'blocked' and the thermostat never opens. That s was my problem when I asked for the thermostat to be changed.....the car reached 90 C without opening. It s not easy to explain without pictures. On two youtube video I saw when they remove the upper housing thermostat it was 9 o'clock, on one 2 o clock. Hard to know, but the position matters. Ti finish I have Mahler/Behr TX122 82,

·
Registered
17 Posts
Its odd because I’ve definitely seen people say position doesn’t matter but plenty say the opposite. I’m on the side of position matters but can’t be sure. My Stat is also 54mm and newest one also has no bleeder hole. I’m using a Gates one (pic attached).

Just to clarify the ONLY issue here is Stat won’t open despite it being a fully functional Stat?

Attachments

·
Registered
SAAB 2.0t biopower
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
yes. Put in boiling water it starts opening at about 81 C. Put in the car at 12 O clock it opens at 90 C. Slightly turning it so one arm of the thermostat is not in front of the heater core hose it opens at 82 C which is the exact correct temp, but it seems to be it does not fully open. So my position is that really the position matters. That was basically my question. What is the correct temp ? Anyway, when buying a thermostat I always put is boiling water. I had bad surprises with oem Saab

·
Registered
17 Posts
When you say that it opens at 82 degrees but doesn’t seem to fully open what do you mean? What’s the car doing that indicates it’s not fully open? I think my thermostat is set to open at 88 degrees and that keeps my needle perfectly at 9’o clock.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Not sure of the exact thread but reading through some of the posts here on thermostats pointed me towards the Gates one because of the 88 degrees and it was for sure the right choice.

·
Registered
SAAB 2.0t biopower
33 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Mine calls for 82 C. I think 88 is for really cold weather. I think you can see if it fully opens regarding the coolant flow from the two hoses returning to the coolant reservoir. In my case, now I changed the position, now about 2 o clock, hoses start to spit coolant at about 82. So it works fine. Anyway, when engine becomes hot, flow does not seem that high.

Look, I have found this : seems ok to me. Just 9 o clock for the thermostat.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts