SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First of all, I'd like to give a big ;ol; to this forum, has given me LOTS of useful info.

Lately I've been driving in night quite a bit and my respect for good lighting has risen. I know, that some of the earlier 9-3s had cornering lights, that came on with the turn signal. Sadly, mine has "blank" bulb holes in fog light housings and no wiring :cry:. So I've been searching for some info on how to retrofit this, but couldn't find anything helpful. If someone could point me to an article or share his own experience doing this, it would be great! :)

·
Registered
12,793 Posts
Not to rain on your parade, but those lights are of no real help, the light is low and the bulb/beam focusing so weak it really doesn't help much unless you are very close to the obstacle. I'd spend the time and money on an upgrade and cleaning of the headlights.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Yeah, been there, designed that. Still on the work bench though.

Only the '99 and '00 came with the cornering lights. You can find them around used but the cornering light sockets are almost always badly corroded and useless.

The later fog lights have the recessed well that the bulb would fit into as well as the proper reflector, but they don't have the hole drilled. To make it work, you need to drill the holes. I believe it's 1 1/8". You then have to file the little slots on the edge for the tabs on the sockets to twist-lock into.

I don't think the original harness with the two bulbs is available any more. But, there's a bulb in the front end/corner lights of the OG 9-5 that is the same socket. It's one of the two front lights... I forget which one.

Once you have the lights ready, you'll need to wire. That's actually very straightforward. The factory lead just runs from the turn signal wire (left or right) to the cornering light. No relays, no special wiring. It doesn't blink because the turn signal switch provides steady voltage coming off the column.

·
Registered
19,178 Posts
Oh... and as an alternative, you could aim the foglights wide (since they are pretty much useless as fog lights anyway) and set it up to turn on the left or right fog light as a cornering light. You'll need to use relays for that though as they need a lot of power.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Jake - yeah, I can imagine how bright they would be. Probably not any brighter than the awful reversing lights... But if I do it, I'd look for a bit higher wattage lamps e.g. 35W (hoping they wouldn't get too hot to melt anything.. :confused:). As for cleaning - already cleaned the lenses inside out. Didn't touch the reflectors, as I heard the reflective stuff comes off very easily.

Bob - putting the bulbs in shouldn't be much of a problem, just drilling holes and fixing the bulbs. I was more worried about the wiring and adding relays, but I'm glad it is as easy as you say! Where exactly does the factory wiring connect to turn signal wire? Is there some way to connect it somewhere in the engine compartment or do i have to tap into the wires before the turn signal relay?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts