SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Start up car. I "hear" the lights going through test, I see the lights turn to the right and then return to center (they do not go up, they do not go down, they do not go to left and back). They appear to function properly when I steer both left and right. Luckily, they are leveled at a proper height so my night driving seems to be okay for the time being.

After the initial light "level" test, the dreaded "Cornering Light Malfunction" error appears in the SID. If you clear it, the dreaded headlight with the arrow symbol stays on the SID. Once the error appears on the SID (and the ignition still in "ON"), you can hear an "actuation" sound for about a second, then a delay for about 2 seconds, then an actuation sound which continues to repeat as long as you keep the ignition in the "ON" position. The "actuation" sound appears to come from the passenger side headlight area. The also seems to be a "clicking" noise coming from the passenger side closer to the cabin...but in the engine compartment.

I tried to calibrate using a Tech 2 (or a mechanic did, but said he didn't really know what he was doing. He said he calibrated, but nothing changed. He said there were a a bunch of numbers in the leveling section that were the same (I want to say .65, but there was one number that was .25).

I pulled all the leveling fuses (3) and they all appear fine. I actually pulled all of them out and turned the car on expecting the "actuation" to stop, but it didn't...which I found strange.

This is my first Saab and I freaking love it. I was aprehensive in my purchase because the "lack of service support" since they are no longer made, but in my research I found SaabCentral and various other Saab enthusiasts/support. I'm in the Boston, MA area. So........who on this site is going to impress the hell out of me and give me insite/resolution to this problem?

Looking forward to joining the Saab life...I hope!

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
Hi and welcome to SC.

Connect TECH2 to car and write down all DTCs, otherwise we are only guessing (and I do not like that).
After that we can continue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi and welcome to SC.

Connect TECH2 to car and write down all DTCs, otherwise we are only guessing (and I do not like that).
After that we can continue.
Thanks for replying.

The mechanic I brought it to does not have a Tech 2... he used an Autel with Saab V3.10. Only DTC's were B3867-04 and B2585-04...Front Parking lights (Right and Left respectively) Open Circuit. I hadn't noticed previously, but my front parking lights are not working in any of the switch positions...I assume that's the reason for the codes and I will replace the bulbs this weekend.

The mechanic (who is not familiar with Saabs) did not think that the noises I described in the original post were related to the lights...but did admit that the "actuation" sound (like a buzz) was coming from the passenger side headlight area. He said the "clicking" noise is from a solenoid located near the air filter.

I feel like I know less now than I did before I posted...LOL.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for replying.

The mechanic I brought it to does not have a Tech 2... he used an Autel with Saab V3.10. Only DTC's were B3867-04 and B2585-04...Front Parking lights (Right and Left respectively) Open Circuit. I hadn't noticed previously, but my front parking lights are not working in any of the switch positions...I assume that's the reason for the codes and I will replace the bulbs this weekend.

The mechanic (who is not familiar with Saabs) did not think that the noises I described in the original post were related to the lights...but did admit that the "actuation" sound (like a buzz) was coming from the passenger side headlight area. He said the "clicking" noise is from a solenoid located near the air filter.

I feel like I know less now than I did before I posted...LOL.

Thoughts?
UPDATE***

oooookkkkkaaayyyy. So I remembered seeing my parking lights flash when I unlocked the car this morning, so I went out and checked that I was not delusional. Yes, they work. They flash when I unlock the car and they both work as directionals. I guess they don't come on when the headlight switch is set to either "on" or "auto"...because they don't? But then why would I be getting open circuit codes for the parking lights if everything appears to be working? Additionally, my low and high beams work and my running lights work.

·
Registered
7,432 Posts
So previous owner did some "extra electrical jobs" to "look good".
PO cut front parking light wires and connected them to front flasher wires.
God only knows what else is cut and re-routed. I highly suggest that you take headlights out and carefully check wirings.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If so, why would the cornering light malfunction only appear now? I've driven the car for over 1,000 miles?

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
UPDATE***

oooookkkkkaaayyyy. So I remembered seeing my parking lights flash when I unlocked the car this morning, so I went out and checked that I was not delusional. Yes, they work. They flash when I unlock the car and they both work as directionals. I guess they don't come on when the headlight switch is set to either "on" or "auto"...because they don't? But then why would I be getting open circuit codes for the parking lights if everything appears to be working? Additionally, my low and high beams work and my running lights work.
Directionals are not parking lights. Well, the bright flashing lights are directionals.

Apparently in 2009 the parking lamps are the LEDs above the headlight, according to WIS. Sorry, I'm not familiar with their lighting systems.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Directionals are not parking lights. Well, the bright flashing lights are directionals.

Apparently in 2009 the parking lamps are the LEDs above the headlight, according to WIS. Sorry, I'm not familiar with their lighting systems.
Here's a pic of my lights. My understanding is:

1 is the daylight running light
2 is the Xenon HID light (low and High beam) that is supposed to level and "bend" around corners.
3 is the Parking lights and Directionals.

In my case (3) only comes on (blinks) when I signal left or right.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, just discovered a thread on parking lights. Updated picture:

4 - White LED parking light strip (eyebrow)
5 - Yellow (3) LED parking lights

These (4) and (5) DO come on (the white strip is barely noticeable in the daylight) EXCEPT WHEN IN THE AUTO POSITION (but maybe they do come on at night in auto?)

So, it appears that all my lights are working appropriately except the Xenon's are not really doing the auto check sequence completely/correctly? You can see it here:

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I'm not that familiar with the facelifted cars, but you have to be careful with terminology. Your 5 above is not "parking light", it's most likely "side marker light".

Ideally, you need to check in the Owner's Manual and/or WIS as to what exactly does Saab mean by parking light, indicator light, marker light, etc. Otherwise SID and Tech II messages lead to confusion.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm not that familiar with the facelifted cars, but you have to be careful with terminology. Your 5 above is not "parking light", it's most likely "side marker light".

Ideally, you need to check in the Owner's Manual and/or WIS as to what exactly does Saab mean by parking light, indicator light, marker light, etc. Otherwise SID and Tech II messages lead to confusion.
Tell me about it!!! Never thought headlight issue would be so complicated.

·
Registered
427 Posts
Not sure if this helps or not, but was using the WIS and ran your DTC’s and got this.
Looks like the bulb in question would be number 3.
Has this problem be there since you got the car or just starting happening?

update:read some more and now this page talks about the LED brows. So I’m now a little confused. Sorry

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Not sure if this helps or not, but was using the WIS and ran your DTC’s and got this.
Looks like the bulb in question would be number 3.
Has this problem be there since you got the car or just starting happening?

update:read some more and now this page talks about the LED brows. So I’m now a little confused. Sorry
LOL, this issue seems to be confusing everyone I talk to. The Cornering Light Malfunction message started happening about 800 miles after I purchased the car. Thank you for investigating/replying.

I stopped by a Saab/Volvo repair center and they used a Tech II today and found no DTC's, but the message still appears on the SID. WTF???

·
Registered
8,620 Posts
I think that some errors are reported only in SID. Other errors (such as minor lights) only in DTC.

This makes me glad I have a bog standard halogen setup. No codes, even city lights work fine.

·
Registered
427 Posts
There is an option in the TECH2 to turn on all lights, not sure if that would help. Would be interesting to see if it turns on the eye brows LEDs, if I get a chance I can try that on my 08 and report back.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
The eye brows go on in every mode except in Auto mode...not sure if that is normal. They are so faint in the daytime I didn't see them on when I posted earlier.

·
Registered
427 Posts
I think there is a chart in the WIS telling what is on and when, I‘ll check when I can.
If you need me to compare anything to my 08 aero, let me know. I would be happy to help.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts