SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Everyone,

So I am looking for summer tires, and a friend of mine who owns a tire shop suggested the following tire Cooper Zeon 2XS ...I have never heard of them before and was wondering if anyone has tried cooper tires and what are their thoughts on it?

http://www.coopertires.com/html/products/tires_uhp.aspx

My friend told me they are not well known tires, but are a quality for the price I am willing to spend approx $135 per tire. He also mentioned to me the tread are very similar to the Michelin Pilot tires (cant remember which one specifically).

Does anyone have any opinions or suggestions...any help would be greatly appreciated ...thanks!

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I used to work for Cooper Tires in the UK, Well it was originally Avon Tyres, but was bought by Cooper mid-late nineties.
I have had a set of Zeon 2XS on my old 2003 Aero, and I found them to be really good for the price, sticky and grippy, but as with all sticky tyres, they wear pretty quick.
The Coopers that I had were made in the UK so I can't compare them to how a US set would perform as I believe the ingredients and compounds vary due to legislation differences between the countries.

I find it quite interesting that they're not that well known a tyre as Cooper is/were one of the biggest automotive rubber manufaacturers in the world.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Might want to shop around at that price. I found them for $98 in a matter of seconds. I looked because I had Cooper M/T's on my Frontier a few years back and I absolutely loved them. They were loud as hell, but they were mud tires, so... I'm in the market for new tires myself and would be all about them except I'm trying to buy a tire that doesn't have directional tread so I can get better rotation out of them. Looking at the Nitto Invo's now. DTD has them for $117ea shipped to the door.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
I think that tire was rated pretty well by Consumer Reports a while back.

And I don't think Cooper is anywhere near the top tire makers. They are although not is any particular order:

Bridgestone/Firestone
Michelin
Goodyear
Sumitomo
Yokohama

·
Registered
152 Posts
Interesting tidbit...

The Cooper factory in Rhode Island manufactures most of the Nokian tires sold in the USA. So, they know how to crank out quality tires.

That being said, I've had a few Coopers in my day:

1. Weathermasters (cheap snow tire). They sucked. The tread started to separate on the 2nd season of use.

2. Cooper Zeon (I forget the suffix). They were grippy, but wore fast.

BTW - this is my first post. I just picked up a '99 9-3 convertible last week!

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
Cooper is quite a good tire but not marketed as aggressively as the "Name Brands", in the UK they are called AVON and have an excellent rep, several members here run them. I've had them on past vehicles. As a matter of fact I am on the fence between another set of RE906AS or a set of Coopers. The Zeons do wear a bit quicker than most, but I'll sacrifice tread wear for performance and quietness.

·
Registered
731 Posts
I had the Cooper Zeon 2xs on my vector back in 2006. Similar to others who have used these, they were good tires in terms of traction, but wore out quickly (I think I had them for 10xxx miles). The only complaint I had were that they started wearing unevenly towards the end of their life cycle.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
The Cooper factory in Rhode Island manufactures most of the Nokian tires sold in the USA. So, they know how to crank out quality tires.

That being said, I've had a few Coopers in my day:

1. Weathermasters (cheap snow tire). They sucked. The tread started to separate on the 2nd season of use.

2. Cooper Zeon (I forget the suffix). They were grippy, but wore fast.

BTW - this is my first post. I just picked up a '99 9-3 convertible last week!

Welcome to the forums, but with a 99 you belong in the NG/900 rooms. We're rolling SS's.

·
Registered
5,873 Posts
Cooper is quite a good tire but not marketed as aggressively as the "Name Brands", in the UK they are called AVON and have an excellent rep, several members here run them. I've had them on past vehicles. As a matter of fact I am on the fence between another set of RE906AS or a set of Coopers. The Zeons do wear a bit quicker than most, but I'll sacrifice tread wear for performance and quietness.

You've got to be kidding? Isn't that like comparing a Kia to a Lexus?

As I said before you've got some real good choices out there and I don't consider Cooper to be one of them...
Who even sells these things? Is there a mileage warranty and again who will warranty it?
If you don't go for a Tier 1 maker like Bridgestone or Michelin at least get something else of quality like a Kuhmo, Falken, or Sumitomo. All very good tires with a good mileage warranty and dealers to back them up. You could even get a Firestone or Goodyear.
I guess if you want to support a small American company they might be the way to go.

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I guess if you want to support a small American company they might be the way to go.
Not as small as you might think.
Cooper Tire & Rubber is the fourth-largest North American tire producer after Goodyear, Bridgestone Firestone, and Michelin. The Ohio-based company focuses exclusively on the replacement tire market, where it holds around 13% market share in North America. Cooper generated more than two thirds of 2008 sales from North America. The firm also sells its tires in Europe and China, and it operates several tire manufacturing joint ventures overseas.
Not doing bad at $20 a share, http://quote.morningstar.com/Stock/s.aspx?t=CTB
Obviously this doesn't actually mean their tyres are any good, just a little defensive I guess seeing as I used to work for their English factory.

·
Registered
499 Posts
Cooper is one of two remaining American tire companies, the other one being Goodyear. Many traditional American names are now foreign owned, such as BF Goodrich (Michelin), Firestone (Bridgestone), General (Continental). Cooper tires are supposed to be reputable. Cooper acquired Avon in the UK. Cooper also makes store brands, such as Cornell and Futura for Pep Boys.

I wouldn't be ashamed to drive Cooper but I don't know of anyone who objectively tests those tires.

I tend to want to buy Dunlop, Nokian, Pirelli, Goodyear, Continental, BF Goodrich, Michelin, Yokohama, Bridgestone, Avon, and Firestone. I would consider Cooper, Uniroyal, General, Sumitomo, Kumho. Some decent brands that I would tend not to buy Vredstein, Fulda, and Gislaved because those tires are hard to find in case I need to buy one tire after a puncture.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
You've got to be kidding? Isn't that like comparing a Kia to a Lexus?

As I said before you've got some real good choices out there and I don't consider Cooper to be one of them...
Who even sells these things? Is there a mileage warranty and again who will warranty it?
If you don't go for a Tier 1 maker like Bridgestone or Michelin at least get something else of quality like a Kuhmo, Falken, or Sumitomo. All very good tires with a good mileage warranty and dealers to back them up. You could even get a Firestone or Goodyear.

Cos, it's a very good tire. Too many people are into wearing the "Brand" they want to say they have the most expensive or trendy tire. "Top 1"... is that your opinion? Or is it like Top Tier Gasoline, something the Industry made up?
I'll agree Falken makes a good tire, but also some duds as does Pirelli, Bridgestone and everyone else. I wouldn't buy another Kuhmo Ecsta on a bet. I've had Cooper all seasons in the past, I was quite pleased. The Summer tires do wear wear faster, there softer, stickier and very good wet traction.

Cooper has it's own Dealer network too, just because your not familiar with something, don't bad mouth it. And as a matter of fact, the touring class tires have a 45 day free trial and 60,000 mile warranty.

·
Registered
2,450 Posts
I'm getting ready to put on a set of Barum Bravuris 2. I've never heard of them, but the manager at my local Discount Tire is giving me a great deal on them in order for me to even give them a try. Apparently they are a private label made by Continental. For my road tires I look for something that performs well in the wet and has a good wear rating. Apparently this tire satisfies both categories so I'm going to give them a try.

·
Registered
499 Posts
I'm getting ready to put on a set of Barum Bravuris 2. I've never heard of them, but the manager at my local Discount Tire is giving me a great deal on them in order for me to even give them a try. Apparently they are a private label made by Continental. For my road tires I look for something that performs well in the wet and has a good wear rating. Apparently this tire satisfies both categories so I'm going to give them a try.
Barum is a Czech company, now subsidiary of Continental. I think the Bravuris is decent but I don't know how it compares with the Continental ExtremeContact DWS, a made for the US tire. A few Continental tires are made in the Czech Republic, but most for the US market are made in Brazil, USA, and Germany. I've seen Barum tires on a few cars. Take a picture of them and post them here. I know we can see showroom pictures but a real life one or two is better, especially on a Saab.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts