SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently replaced the coolant pump on my '96 900 2.0t, since the repair there have been a few problems:

1.)The "Coolant Level Low" light on the SID has been on constantly, but there has been no visible loss of coolant from the expansion tank or any coolant on the ground.
2.)The engine makes a ticking noise at startup and sometimes at idle after the car is at operating temperature (it comes and goes), similar to the noise that it made right before the coolant pump went.
3.)There has been a small oil leak coming from the passenger side of the car, but I can't identify the source.

I've had many problems with this car compared to my previous one (a '93 9000 2.3), new ignition unit, clutch, and water pump in 4 months. If I'm being overly cautious, let me know. Thanks!!

·
Registered
6,596 Posts
The "Coolant Level Low" light on the SID has been on constantly, but there has been no visible loss of coolant from the expansion tank or any coolant on the ground.
I can't help with the ticking or leak, but I can with the coolant.

If the level is fine, it's probably the sensor. It's a very clever device. The outer part is a sensor on the front of the coolant tank with two wires on it. The inner part is a float with a magnet attached inside. The magnet activates the sensor (or not, in your case :roll: ). If you take the cap off you ought to be able to see the float (you'll probably need to drain some antifreeze with a turkey baster to see it) It's a flat plastic thing on a hinge. Perhaps it's jammed somehow when the coolant was drained for the pump replacement. Maybe you can wiggle it with a coat hanger or something. Also, double check to see that the outer sensor is properly seated on the outside of the coolant tank and that the two wires are connected.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
bruckel said:
I recently replaced the coolant pump on my '96 900 2.0t, since the repair there have been a few problems:

1.)The "Coolant Level Low" light on the SID has been on constantly, but there has been no visible loss of coolant from the expansion tank or any coolant on the ground.
2.)The engine makes a ticking noise at startup and sometimes at idle after the car is at operating temperature (it comes and goes), similar to the noise that it made right before the coolant pump went.
3.)There has been a small oil leak coming from the passenger side of the car, but I can't identify the source.

I've had many problems with this car compared to my previous one (a '93 9000 2.3), new ignition unit, clutch, and water pump in 4 months. If I'm being overly cautious, let me know. Thanks!!
Ticking :
stuck or partially stuck hydraulic lifter
Regular oil changes are a must( 2K to 5K miles - depending on the severity of service)

Oil seepage :
Loose head bolts
Dried or loose cam cover gasket
power steering connection or hose.
Front and read crank seals
bad oil filter (probably not)

Monitor the fluid levels, routinely

1 - 3 of 3 Posts