SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Are both of the cooling fans supposed to be running when the thermostat kicks in? My 900S is over heating and if I switch on the AC cooling fan or the drivers' side (US) it stays nice and cool. The other fan comes on as it should but only one comes on. Is this right that only one fan comes on? I am only overheating in traffic on the road it is fine. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, Richard

·
Registered
818 Posts
Your fans are working as they should be although the symptoms you describe sound like a dodgy fan. With the engine running try moving your hand over the radiator and feeling for cool spots, if there are it is blocked and you need a new one. Beware of the fan coming on while doing this mind you. It could also be your thermostat, as that was the problem with my car, when you replace it you MUST replace it with a genuine SAAB one as they are different to the off the shelf ones in that the SAAB one has 3 stages. How high does the needel go when it overheats and how high do you consider normal? I should sit about 1/4 to 1/3 of the way up.

·
Registered
992 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I just replaced all thermostats with Saab parts. I had the radiador removed last year and completely cleaned. I would be happy if it would hang out at 1/2 but it goes up to just below the red line. At that point or before I hit the panic button (snowflake). The cooling fan is running strong as far as I can tell.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Try running the heater when it gets too hot, if it doesnt blow cold then it could be the thermostat. Just because its new doesnt mean its not faulty.

·
Registered
137 Posts
3-way t-stat vs 2-way t-stat?
ok, 2-way has fully closed and fully opened position!

what is the 3rd way?!?;oops:;oops:;oops:

·
Registered
818 Posts
It has an extra part that extends down and opens/closes flow through the heater valve to the radiator for when things get really toasty.

·
Registered
3,286 Posts
One fan is switched by the thermostat, the other one is switched by the air conditioning. So, unless the air conditioning is on, only one fan runs. On the other hand, if the air conditioning is on, the second fan is always on.

Since you've recently changed the thermostats, check to make sure that you've replaced them with the correct temperature thermostats. There are three or more different switching points for the different thermostats. Board search for thermostat should give you some clues.

Some Saabers that have modified their cars have changed the fan setup so that both fans are switched by the thermostat. Shouldn't be more than a wiring change.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts