SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long should the radiator cooling fan run when the engine is shut down? The cooling fan on my '92 runs about half as long as the '90. What shuts the fan off? Is it on a timer or is there a heat sensitive switch that shuts it off? Where is the timer or shut off switch located? Thanks for your input.

·
Registered
13,278 Posts
The Cool Fan Timer is built into the relay, and should limit at about 10 minutes. Normally the regular Fan Thermoswitch shuts it off earlier. 1990 and 1992 should be about the same.

·
Registered
436 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim. I am awakening the '90 vert from a 4 year sleep and drove it this evening long enough to activate the cooling fan after the engine was shut off. I was beginning to wonder if the fan would shut off but it did after about 2 minutes. I'll watch this closely now that I know what to expect. I may switch relays between the two cars to see if the difference in run time is in the relays.

·
Registered
966 Posts
Mine is switched purely by the thermoswitch located on the left top side of the radiator. If the fan is on when I switch the ignition off, it stays on typically for 2-3mins max.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I had one that stayed on for ages,(probably would have flattened battery if I had'nt gone back out to car) so eventually pulled the wire off the rad thermo switch and it obviously went off put the wire back on and nothing till next run, and same again, so put a new thermo unit in rad and been fine since(4 yrs ago)

·
Registered
31 Posts
I was wondering if someone could tell me where the thermo switch that runs the fan is located? I don't think my fan is coming on. Was never a problem until I moved recently. The area I now live in has some large mountains and the temp gauge almost gets into the red without the fan switching on when going up large inclines for more than a few minutes. Sorry to have to ask the question but I can't find my maintenance manual since moving and the few searches I've done didn't describe exactly where it is. This thread says on the left side top of radiator. Is that driver or passenger side? One more note. The fan comes on while the a/c runs. Not sure if it is using the same relay. If not, knowing which relay runs the fan through the thermo switch would be helpful?

·
Registered
602 Posts
US Driver's side (left/right is descriptive when looking forward - ie sitting in the driver seat) of the radiator. There's a plug with two wires which should have red rubber boots on them. A socket wrench will get it out. The circuit should be open until the coolant gets to the rated temperature of the switch. However, over the years, the actual turn-on temp of the switch tends to increase due to corrosion/increasing resistance/blah. Simple fix. You can test the actual circuitry by shorting the two connectors together - the fan(s) should turn on. If the fan does not turn on, then you likely have other issues.

There are two versions available, a 92 degree and an 82 degree. 92 is OEM I believe.
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/46...gree-4086708/?diagramId=1053&diagramNumber=23
https://www.eeuroparts.com/Parts/42...ee-854757282/?diagramId=1053&diagramNumber=23

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
the thermo switch is situated on the top left(almost) of the radiator looking from inside the car, will have two connectors to check you fan is working (ignition off) just join the two wires, if fan works maybe your temp sender has had it, but it will only come on when engine is really hot.
Your ac fan is a seperate unit and however hot your temp gauge reads it will not operate as it's for AC only.
reading between the lines, below in blue it sounds to me that you have only one fan(my interpretation of) YOUR WORDS The fan comes on while the a/c runs. Not sure if it is using the same relay. and no it does'nt
If this is so I would splice the AC fan wires in with the temp wires for a temporary fix to have a cooling fan, but if you are not using ac at the mo due to colder temp anyway, just change connector till you get a replacement....that;s if you only have one fan??

1 - 8 of 8 Posts