SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
so a little while ago i got rammed off the road into a snowbank + when i got off the highway and popped the hood there was a bunch of snow stopping the cooling fan from spinning, now the fan wont work and the car overheats... i plan on fixing it when i have more than half an hour between work + school to look at it. so my question is can i just hook the fan up directly to the battery?.. just to get to work and school will this melt wires... or blow the fan? also i checked fusses + both relays! what could it be!!

·
Registered
2,026 Posts
Just to be sure that we are discussing the same fan;

you are aware that the fan in the front of the heat exchanger block (the one right behind the grille) is the auxialiary fan for high A/C loads. The main engine coolant fan is in the back of the radiator and is protected by a shroud.

That main fan, is that the one you that got jammed with snow?

Is the fan free? Does it rotate- if you try to spin it with your fingers?

That protective shroud is a mixed blessing. It is designed with close tolerances to shield the blade tips and also to increase the efficiency of the fan. It is made of fairly thin steel however, and is easily bent.

Roll the fan over and check for interference with the shroud. If the snow was packed and frozen, it may have been strong enough to distort the circular shape of the shroud.

It doesn't take much bending to impact the fan blades . I think there is only about 1/16" clearance as designed.

Also be sure that the wiring harness connector (s) are firmly seated.

Electrically, there would be no problem hot wiring the fan motor directly to battery - as long as you remember to pull the jumper wires when you shut down. If you do this don't worry about the engine not warming up to sufficiently. The thermostat will still maintain the proper coolant temperature.

If you know that the main fan is getting voltage at the proper times, yet wont turn, you might try getting by with the auuxiliary fan for the winter. It is smaller but still moves plenty of air.

Make a set of jumper wires and run them from the main fan plug over to the A/C fan (disconnecting both fans first). That way you will get cooling when required from the auxiliary fan - and you won't have to open the hood and yank the wires every time you get out.

The shroud will be bent.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
sorry and yes the main fan behind the radiator was packed with snow, however when i cleared the snow it was spinning freely. now neither fan will run at all! i haven't yet checked for voltage at the main fan.... i think im just going to run a switch into the car (through the bulkhead? can that be done?..) until i can do it properly.

Thanks for the help!

1 - 3 of 3 Posts