SaabCentral Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
en route to yellowstone by Jon Wall, on Flickr

Hey everyone, been a while. Well, the Saab made it from Wyoming to Massachusetts with a broken motor mount and blown bypass valve but it did amazing - cruising regularly at 85, and then made the trip back west doing it all over again about a month later. She's back in Wyoming, and that brings me to my question.

Well when I got the car neither cooling fan worked, and there is a short in the system that fries fuses the minute they hit the circuit, so Ive already run the A/C aux cooling fan through a separate circuit by using the fan relay and a switch - and now Im looking to wire the main cooling fan, either off the same switch to run both at the same time, or a separate switch if I cant do that.

My plan, and tell me if its a bad one is to cut the wires coming off the main fan, ground one at that location, then run a 10 gauge wire to an inline 30 amp fuse through to the existing switch, then a separate power wire from the switch to where Ive already plugged into the relay terminals in the fuse box for the other fan.

Will this work? will this make my car spontaneously explode like the death star at the end of return of the jedi? Is there a better way?

(edit: I know theres a better way, but will this way work?)

·
Registered
181 Posts
Sounds like it would.

But with a little more work you could use the thermoswitch in the circuit.

No A/C in my car but have the A/C fan operating on command through the Snowflake Button.

It is nice to have one operate automatically and one manually on two different circuits.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Sounds like it would.

But with a little more work you could use the thermoswitch in the circuit.

No A/C in my car but have the A/C fan operating on command through the Snowflake Button.

It is nice to have one operate automatically and one manually on two different circuits.
Interesting - I guess run the power from the AC Compressor fuse then and ground at location to use the snowflake button?

My car has the AC compressor removed anyway.

·
Registered
181 Posts
In the original configuration, all I had to do was remove the AC compressor relay and jump the AC drier low pressure switch. If you have no pressure, that switch will be open and prevent you from operating the compressor and fan with the snowflake button.

My 924S has a manual fan switch for both fans and it is kind of a chore to keep glancing at the temperature gauge. I would consider using the thermoswitch for one fan at least, just for that reason.

The Bentley has electrical diagrams of all sorts. There are many ways to do this of course.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Your idea will work. I have two auto transmissions that i have ran similarly by wiring both fans to a separate 20 amp switch that i use in the summer weather. Incredible story, these cars are remarkable in their endurance.

·
Registered
519 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
To be specific I'm looking to jump the low pressure switch on my a/c relay to allow the a/c frost switch to engage the aux fan on demand , I've searched all over with everyone saying to do it but holding the relay in my hand I have no idea which leads to jump or even how to actually jump them... Wondering if anyone could walk me through this ..

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts