SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All,

I get a warning on my SID display indicating I need put more coolant fluid in. I checked my coolant fluid and it is at the right amount. I was told I could possibly need a coolant flush, but I don't think that's the case. It doesn't look dirty or stagnant. My theory is that it could be the water temperature sensor or the cable is loose that is connected to the coolant. Any thoughts? I know it's a lot to ask without being in front of the car but I think it could be easily solved and an easy fix for cheap if I figure it out now. Then I'll order the part and cross my fingers.

Thanks For Reading,

Andy​

·
Registered
1,692 Posts
Well, it's not the water temp sensor.

Check the electrical connection going to the expansion tank. You might get lucky and just have a dirty connection (doubtful). The coolant level sensor in the expansion tank is just two metal probes. You may have to clean them off and they are hard to get to.

·
Registered
18,938 Posts
Actually, the bottle sensor is just a float with a magnet that make a reed switch open or close.

Take out the overflow bottle. Use long qtips, rags, probes, and whatever else you can design to clean the float mechanism as well as all the scum you find in there in the chambers.

If it still says "low" once you have cleaned the float mechanism, you likely need the reed switch. Unfortunately it can't be purchased without a bottle, so look for used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
haha Bob Saabet

Okay, so you're saying I would remove the coolant 'tank' or whatever it's called and then clean it completely out? What do I need to purchase to make this happen?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Also I have a 2001 9-3

I don't know if they makes a difference. I also searched for reeds and found some things, I don't know if any of them are for a Saab model or not.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
cleaning out the tank

Either way it seems unanimous that I clean out the tank. ;ol; Sorry for 4 posts that I could have put in one reply. haha

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
Either way it seems unanimous that I clean out the tank. ;ol; Sorry for 4 posts that I could have put in one reply. haha
The coolant must be changed every so often.

You may be able to clean the tank/bottle/reservoir with vinegar , and gentle vibrations..

I use anti-rust in my 18 year old 900s cooling system....same old hoses, pump, t-stat, radiator and sensors......The coolant (old) does look cruddy I must admit...

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I've never done that.

Are you saying it might just need a "coolant flush"? So you just take out the tank and clean it with paper towels, q-tips and vinegar and water?

·
Registered
18,938 Posts
Yeah, you need to clean the overflow tank. From memory (no accuracy guarantee)... pull off the two hoses. Stick the one that goes to the engine up high (or plug it) or it will drop coolant.

Disconnect the connector to the sensor. Remove the one bolt holding the tank on. Pull it up and off the bracket.

When you get it out and empty you will be able to see all the gunk on the float mechanism. You will also see that there are three chambers in the rear, and they will likely be full of gunk. Clean those too while you are doing the job.

Reinstall. Fill. See if it works properly.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

I'll give it a go guys and see if it fixes the SID warning. ;ol;

·
Registered
383 Posts
Here are some tips for cleaning the expansion tank (not mine, from: http://www.saabnet.com/tsn/bb/NG900/index.html?bID=272284):

To clean the scum out of the coolant tank:

1) Removed the coolant tank.

2) Add some rice, water, and a couple drops of dish detergent.

3) Shake well to agitate and let the rice scour the inside of the coolant tank.

4) Rinse well, and re-install the coolant tank.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts