SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just last weekend as i was returning home, the dreaded "coolant level low" display popped up and upon my arrival at home I discovered that my heater hose had an inch and a half crack in it and had nearly spewed all of the coolant all over the engine. luckily, it didnt overheat or anything because it happened when i was very close to home and i had shut the engine off pretty quickly after it happened. my question is, what kind of coolant do you guys recommend, because after reading a post on thesaabsite: http://thesaabsite.com/Coolantinfo.htm im a little leary about what kind to refill with.
thanks for your help.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
The time has come for all of us with 10 year old and older cars to renew the cooling hoses.

I just use the "green" for a '96 model...along with some anti-rust, this has been in there for a time, at least 3 years...But the new anti-freeze will be the more expensive silicate-less Peak good for 5 years, compatable with Dex-Cool..

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
i just ordered some new heater hoses and upper and lower radiator hoses, the lower hose from a viggen to accomadate future fmic plans:D . the previous owner had just replaced the coolant in the last few months so all that pretty green fluid just went to waste.

what kind of anti-rust did you use; ive never heard of using that before. that seems like it would be a good investment since when i pulled off some of the hoses there was rust on the connections.

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
I've been using DuPont Anti-Rust($1) for the past 30 plus years....This is available at PepBoys, AutoZone, Napa,WallyMart,Kmart,XMart........I'll stick my nose out and swear BY this Anti-Rust...

It works..:cheesy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
earthworm said:
I've been using DuPont Anti-Rust($1) for the past 30 plus years....This is available at PepBoys, AutoZone, Napa,WallyMart,Kmart,XMart........I'll stick my nose out and swear BY this Anti-Rust...

Wow thats really good considering the Prestone is about 6 to 7 dollars IIRC.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
now im going to drain out the rest of the coolant but i cant find the radiator drain plug. i looked in the owners manual and i saw where it was supposed to be, but how do i get to it?

·
Registered
2,202 Posts
earthworm said:

I have been using an anti-rust water pump lubricant from Advance Auto for years. On my older RX-7 which would see 10,000 rpm on a daily basis I would eat water pumps every 20,000 or so miles. After I started using the lubricant/anti-rust I never replaced another water pump and sold the car 100,000 miles later. (Never any rust but I also used distilled water)

1 - 8 of 8 Posts