SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I have a slow coolant leak coming from somewhere around the right side of the radiator. I can see some coolant on the bootom subframe where the radiator is mounted on. I was wondering if I can use those "coolant stop-leak" additives in a turbo-charged engine. I'm not sure if that additive affects the turbo in anyway. I appreciate any feedback.

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
It will stop the leak.

BUT - they also gunk everything up after while so using them is not recomended.

I belive there are some they used in the Catera that are suppost to be good though...

·
Registered
21,583 Posts
At the radiator lower right side we have the lower radiator hose.

By now, all of the coolant hoses should have been re-newed .IMO, they are good for 7 to 10 years, beyond that we are on borrowed time.
Trollhatten is correct, do not use the "mechanic in a can":nono; .

GM does have a stop leak for tiny seeps, this generally works, BUT, the cooling system must be in good condition..
Have the system pressure checked, if not a hose, then it may be the radiator itself....

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
Unless you're loosing barely noticeable amounts in a month or so don't bother with the stop leaks, they tend to clog the system.

Trohattenschatten is right about the Catera stop leak tablets. I have them just in case but never had to use them so far :cheesy: Those won't clog the system if only 2 are used.

The tablets have to be crushed into powder then introduced in the overflow tank. It may take more than a week to circulate in the system for that reason though ;)

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
Replacing the radiator is sooooooo much fun.
it's not HARD, but expect to be down to your subframe before you can pop it out. I used the pellets for a while, but it makes SUCH a mess...blech!
I'd buy a junkyard radiator, and block off a saturday afternoon to fix 'er up.

·
Registered
727 Posts
Earthworm has a good point. I had a minor coolant leak, and it turned out to be a loose clamp where the lower radiator hose connects to the radiator.

I could smell coolant after driving, but did not see any drips on the lower hose, as it's not really viewable from above.

I assumed the worst and re-torqued the head, replaced the hoses, tightened all other hoses another quarter turn or so, and filled with the magic Mercedes coolant and distilled water.

That was 30 months and 40,000 miles ago. No problems since, and it's getting close to the time to change out the coolant.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I just replaced the bottom rad hose two weeks ago, so I don't think it could be coming from there. But a little coolant can be seen right below the rad outlet hose (on top of the subframe). And I washed off the engine and rad right after replacing the hose so I could get a better idea of where it was coming from. I'm guessing it's coming from the rad somewhere. Is it still worth getting a pressure test done on the cooling system or should I try one of those stop-leak additives? Does anyone know if those additives constrict the coolant passages in the turbo, or is it safe? Thanks again guys.

·
Registered
7,876 Posts
G96nt said:
Replacing the radiator is sooooooo much fun.
it's not HARD, but expect to be down to your subframe before you can pop it out. I used the pellets for a while, but it makes SUCH a mess...blech!
I'd buy a junkyard radiator, and block off a saturday afternoon to fix 'er up.
How many pellets did you use? You should only use 2 for the life time of the system and not one more or you could have restriction problems. GM uses and sells them and they're even warranty approved . The GM tech said they never had issues with those and they're safe to use. I never used them since I don't like half assed jobs. I just got it in case it's cold outside (Canada... You know :roll:) and I might have a leak that I need to repair. I haven't used them so far :cheesy:

·
Registered
3,419 Posts
PauL13 said:
Is it still worth getting a pressure test done on the cooling system or should I try one of those stop-leak additives? Does anyone know if those additives constrict the coolant passages in the turbo, or is it safe? Thanks again guys.
That was answered back in post #2.
there is only one kind that is safe.
and even that is taking a chance.

Go to your GM dealership and ask for the etop-leak tablets for the catera.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Radiator Leak

Last summer I had a small coolant leak and the local Saab dealer recommended the GM stop leak tablets. I crushed 2 or 3 into my radiator overflow tank and they worked great. They were around $7.00

Paul

·
Registered
1,926 Posts
I used some autozone pellets. they dissolve, and made a gross mess.. after a year of flushing, it's still in there.

I had two good leaks, though. one was the o-ring to the waterpump @ the block, and the other was a cracked endtank on the Radiator.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts