SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
When I replace my coolant hoses I want to be pretty anal about the proportions for Anti-freeze. the ani-freeze I'm wanting to use indicates "mixed at a proportion of 1:1"... so I'm assuming for every litre of antifreeze, add one litre of water as well.. but like that is a damn lot of Anti-Freeze.

So the antifreeze comes in 1.5Ltr bottles. Saab9000.com lists the amount coolant litreage as "4-cylinder engines: 9.0 litres" Does that mean I'll need 3 bottles of Antifreeze = 4.5Ltrs, and also add 4.5Ltrs of water?

Or is this whole proportion thingo totally whack?

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
I'd mix the leanest proportion to save money if I were you. Austrailia doesn't freeze. Does it? Your only concern is rust build up or I'd just use tap water.

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
On the other hand antefreeze raises the boiling point, so, if it gets REALLY hot, don't go too lean. I wold just mix it half and half. It is really not that important, just add the needed amount of antefreeze, and then proper amount of water and run the engine. THe stuf will mix itself.
THing to think abou tthough is that when change the collant you won't drain the heater core, so theoretically, the total volume should be less. I think so, but I am not sure thought...

Klim

·
Registered
177 Posts
mulik51 said:
THing to think about though is that when change the coolant you won't drain the heater core, so theoretically, the total volume should be less. I think so, but I am not sure thought...

Klim
Some water remains in the engine and heater core, just add the required antifreeze then top up with distilled water.

·
Registered
3,938 Posts
I agree that for Australia the exact proportions are irrelevant, pretty much. The accepted proportion for normal frost protection is 50/50 mixture which protects down to around minus 35 C. This 50/50 also gives a good boiling point but 100% glycol (not recommended as it is very corrosive) gives an even higher boiling point. For Oz and NZ or even the UK even 10% glycol should prevent frost damage.

For colder weather I recommend 60/40 glycol to water. There is no point going with more glycol than 60%. But this concentration is for below minus 35 C which isn't really an issue even in Canada where minus 40 C is failry common in winter. 50/50 glycol/water goes muchy at around minus 40 C but doesnt freeze hard so no damage occurs. the water pump has trouble with the slushy coolant but the engine is so cold it doesn't matter. And, yes, the intercooler works really well at minus 35 C!

If it doesn't freeze very hard (or at all) where you are it couldn't matter less as you can use pure water with no ill effects except a modest reduction in the boiling point.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts