SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everyone. I'm new to the forum. I bought a used 2006 92X 2.5l with 130,720 miles in November 2017. I've barely driven it because I don't trust it. The used car dealership I bought it from replaced the head gaskets. I've had issues with it almost overheating. I replaced the thermostat and the temperature has remained steady. Yesterday, I noticed that coolant overflow tank is almost empty. It's not overheating. Should I be concerned? Thanks!

·
Registered
395 Posts
It’s not a pressurized tank, so some loss due to evaporation is common on the 9-2x and all other Subaru’s. Just top it off, as it’ll have nothing to do with your overheating issues

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
It’s not a pressurized tank, so some loss due to evaporation is common on the 9-2x and all other Subaru’s. Just top it off, as it’ll have nothing to do with your overheating issues
While I have a 9-3 even in super dry Arizona I lose only a 1/2 inch or so in a few months. Is it common in a SAABaruu for the full tank to evaporate? Sounds like a lot of evaporation to me.

And he has no overheating issues. I would look elsewhere for coolant loss.
Leaky tank or radiator?
Leaky hose?
Internal loss, white exhaust? That would be the worst of the possible issues

·
Registered
395 Posts
While I have a 9-3 even in super dry Arizona I lose only a 1/2 inch or so in a few months. Is it common in a SAABaruu for the full tank to evaporate? Sounds like a lot of evaporation to me.
9-3 is a pressurized expansion tank, if your level is going dowm then coolant is leaving your car somehow and it’s not via evaporation!

The 9-2x overflow tank isn’t completely sealed (cap loosely fits), and over the span of a year the tank can nearly evaporate due to its hot location in the engine bay.

·
Registered
6,267 Posts
Subie problem. Try the subie forums. Special kind of car and people.
Imagine driving a car that sounds like a real Saab that lost a cylinder....

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
9-3 is a pressurized expansion tank, if your level is going dowm then coolant is leaving your car somehow and it’s not via evaporation!
Not sure I understand. The expansion tank on a 9-3 has an overflow outlet hose, wouldn't that be open to evaporation?

I have two 9-3, a 2004 and a 2011 and both need half inch or so once a year. No leaks or head problems AFAIK

·
Registered
395 Posts
Not sure I understand. The expansion tank on a 9-3 has an overflow outlet hose, wouldn't that be open to evaporation?

I have two 9-3, a 2004 and a 2011 and both need half inch or so once a year. No leaks or head problems AFAIK
Not on the 9-3. The tank is pressurized, and the hose is used in case the pressure exceeds what the cap can hold. Then, the coolant comes out of the cap and down the hose. In the case of a pressurized tank (aka sealed system) loosing coolant, it's being consumed somewhere.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts