SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2003 Linear sedan, 2008 convertible
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a very slight leak at the banjo bolt at the top of the cylinder head. I bought new copper washers ,a bolt and the line. Still leaks. Tightened to 30 ft lb ....anyone run into this? Seems to me leaking at the interface between the head and the copper washer. I did not see any Nick's in the head. I am thinking RTV silicone on the washer unless someone has a better.idea.

·
Registered
8,120 Posts
Use file to remove scratches.

DO NOT USE SILICONE.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Sorry for the "thank you Captain Obvious" questions, and this is only my opinion, but....are you absolutely sure this is the source of your leak? Looks like there are a couple possibilities in that general area. Hard to tell from the pic.
As "Mimmi" stated, surfaces must be absolutely clean and smooth from any scratches, nicks, and most importantly, even the smallest piece of debris. These can all cause seepage.
The washers are cheap, and important to sealing. If they are already nicked, scratched or dinged up, even slightly, not gonna seal. I'd get a couple more and start again.....making sure everything is smooth and clean.
And lastly, is 30 lb/ft the factory spec for this fastener? Sounds kinda high, but I don't know the spec. Be careful, there, too.
I'd also be very careful taking a file to this. Files, by their very nature, make scratches and grooves and can easily destroy a flat, true surface. My choice would be a "Scotch Brite" pad. The red one....
Good luck!

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the comments. I went and looked some more. Tighened up the coolant sensor. Still leaking the same. . So, looked at it much closer. I was getting just little drops....the size of a head of a pin. Would spray around a dozen drops on the radiator hose after i drive the car for a couple miles. . It was gathering up the most around the copper seal on the coolant line leading me to believe that was the source of the leak. . The copper seal made the fluid look red. Made me believe it was coolant. Today there was enough to wick up some of the fluid with a paper towel. It is engine oil. About the only thing is this area would be the valve cover gasket. It had been replaced a few months ago. ( FEL PRO) . All of the items in the area have been touched. The cylinder head was taken off to fix the valve issue 2008 and up models have. I checked the torque on the valve cover bolts. All good. I am thinking on ordering a new valve cover gasket and put that on and really check to make sure the surfaces are clean.

·
Super Moderator
20,049 Posts
replace pvc too

·
Super Moderator
20,049 Posts
😂

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Ok....ordered the PCV valve and associated gaskets to get the intake manifold back on after it is removed to do this. . When i looked at the PCV valve before it did not look like it wanted to come out of the intake manifold easily. Other than brute force, any suggestions? I searched and looked at the WIS....not much out there. Maybe this is one I take pictures of as I am doing it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts