SaabCentral Forums banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We have been getting this message. The manual seems to indicate this is something one needs a dealer to fix, which seems bizarre to me. We had a service in CA right before we moved where I thought they addressed the issue. We didn't see it at all driving 2000 miles across country, but after being here a few days it has come back. Is this something one can service oneself or does one really need a real dealer?

·
Registered
2,744 Posts
If you can fill a cup with beverage, you can fill a coolant reservoir

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
That was my thought and certainly with any car I have owned prior to this 2007 9-3 Aero Sport Combi, but ... I don't know where any cap even is on this engine ... the manual is no help ... and the manual makes it sound like it is filled with secret sauce.

I might note that I have 22 years of experience owning Saabs in the SF Bay area where one doesn't think much about antifreeze, but I'm now in Illinois...

·
Registered
969 Posts
I got this message when i started my car this morning and i was about a cup short so i threw a cup of water in it to make it to work. Im not sure if its a leak or not its been hot the past couple days and i just started using my ac so maybe thats it?

·
Registered
188 Posts
That was my thought and certainly with any car I have owned prior to this 2007 9-3 Aero Sport Combi, but ... I don't know where any cap even is on this engine ... the manual is no help ... and the manual makes it sound like it is filled with secret sauce.

I might note that I have 22 years of experience owning Saabs in the SF Bay area where one doesn't think much about antifreeze, but I'm now in Illinois...
The expansion tank is on the driver side, right by the firewall. Look for a black plastic tank with two hoses labeled "L" and "R". Next to the brake fluid reservoir. If it has an orange cap, you probably need the updated cap, found here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232461

The Hot/Cold level markers are inside the tank, so take the top off when the car is cold.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Does this cap thing pertain to me as well? I have an 03 arc

The expansion tank is on the driver side, right by the firewall. Look for a black plastic tank with two hoses labeled "L" and "R". Next to the brake fluid reservoir. If it has an orange cap, you probably need the updated cap, found here: http://www.saabcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=232461

The Hot/Cold level markers are inside the tank, so take the top off when the car is cold.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OK, I see that cap and mine is orange. Why would it need replacing?

I don't see any level markers, but the fluid level does seem low.

The manual seemed very mysterious about some magic fluid used on the inside. What does one fill it with?

·
Registered
793 Posts

The manual seemed very mysterious about some magic fluid used on the inside. What does one fill it with?
I've been getting a low coolant level warning too. I'd assume you fill it with 50/50 dexcool. But just popping in to get confirmation on that

·
Registered
1,933 Posts

The expansion tanks on the V6 Aero are notorious for leaking due to their proximity to the the turbo. They tend to leak either around the cap or at the seam in the middle of the tank. I have gone through 5 tanks on my two Aeros.

Here is a link to the coolant that you need. You should be able to find it any auto parts store. Your manual should call out a specifications for you to use.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
A little googling on Dexcool, which I hadn't heard of, suggests:
0) There seems to be at least two types of Dexcool - orange and green
1) Never mix different types of Dexcool or Dexcool and anything else;
2) Some people think one should use anything but Dexcool, which requires completely draining and flushing the cooling system to switch.

When I looked, the color was not obvious other than dark, but I didn't use a flash light. My guess would be green.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
So, just top up with the Pentofrost and keep alert for leaks?

This car is very low mileage ... i.e., it gets an annual checkup without hitting any mileage triggers.

·
Registered
12,509 Posts
If it says Dexcool on the container, it is Dexcool. Use the 50/50 premix. If you get the 100% be sure to cut it 50/50with DISTILLED water.

·
Registered
238 Posts
They evaporate a little over time, just enough to send the warning. I topped mine off with some walmart cheapy stuff that was compatible with DexCool. I wouldn't fill the whole thing with it, but it did the trick to shut up the CPU. It only needed like three table spoons.

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
This how mine started out, then I was getting a low coolant SID warning every two to four weeks, topped it off. No leaks on the expansion tank, but changed the cap. No coolant leaks on the ground, but more often the burnt celery smell of coolant when I had pulled into a parking spot and turned off the engine. Took it in and found the water pump was failing, never had the temperature gauge register anything but normal. Had the pump and thermostat changed and no more problems....knock on wood.....

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Where are the fill marks? There is the tube the cap fastens to, then an open chamber where I mostly can't see the sides, and then tips of some feature poking out of the liquid.

·
Registered
188 Posts
When looking in the tank from the front, the markers are on the left side of the tank. Its really one piece of plastic, it has "cold" on the bottom, and "hot" on top. Probably be more helpful if the tank was translucent with the markers visible from the outside. Not really sure how to judge the hot level otherwise. :confused:

·
Registered
885 Posts
Just to make sure something is clear, the dexcool is orange in color. I didn't want there to be any confusion.

·
Registered
569 Posts
Is yoir power steering reservoir overflowing? A common issue is coolant leaking into the power steering, via a $5.00 O-ring which is attached to the power steering pump. Dealers will replace the entire pump; indies will replace the O-ring.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Maybe I need a flashlight...

FWIW, the coolant identified by stamonkey used to be red, but now is purple. Colorful for something one never sees...

1 - 20 of 24 Posts